Simon 2.3.3 released

Version 2.3.3 of Simon, the website and server monitoring tool, has now been released.

It is an important update, recommended for all Simon customers. Apart from some minor updates to the German localization and Growl support, it also includes three important changes:

Firstly, the way the test scheduling works has changed. In recent previous versions, I had added a "secret" preference called overlap prevention, which was on by default. This prevented more than one test from being automatically checked at once, as a way to reduce the load on the machine and ensure accurate checking times. The problem with this, though, is it could cause some tests to never get checked if the tests table is sorted by Next Check date and there are lots of tests, as they become queued but are never reached. This was because it scans for candidates to start in the sort order, and always found another queued one before the earlier queued one. Kinda convoluted, and only affecting a few people, but there it is.

This release goes back to allowing multiple tests to be checked at once, but changes things so they are started at least one second apart, even if they fall due at the same time. It uses the same checking interval as set in the Advanced preferences for checking all or multiple selected tests. It still scans in sort order, but it adds all due tests to a queue and starts them one second apart, ensuring that the computer isn't overloaded.

Another important change is to fix a bug in the Edit Test window. I spent a couple of vexing days tracing this, with the most valuable help of a customer. The mystery was that Simon seemed to be forgetting about notifiers assigned to tests in some random conditions. I couldn't recreate it, and added logging to trace what was happening to the data, and nothing seemed missing. Yet when the customer viewed the test configs, sometimes it'd only list one notifier when there should be three or so assigned to the test. Yet if he added the notifiers back, the next time he checked the missing ones would be back, along with the new ones. Wacky!

It turned out that this mysterious situation was just a cosmetic issue. No notifiers were being lost. What was happening was the disclosure triangles were interfering with the loading of the lists of notifiers (and auto-pause and reports). If the disclosure was in a collapsed state when the window was opened, the notifiers list UI wouldn't be visible, so wouldn't be resized to show more than one notifier. If it was in an expanded state, all worked as expected. So the fix was simply to set the disclosure triangle state (and thus UI visibility) after loading the lists, rather than before. An easy oversight, but and important one!

Lastly, this update has several report enhancements. One is to allow digits in test short names (as used for URLs in reports), to allow for people who name tests like "UL102", "UL104", etc, i.e. differing only by digits. Another report change is to handle the file:// protocol better. When saving a report locally to the Desktop or some other location that isn't in the global or user-specific web sharing folders, the report is accessed via the file:// protocol rather than http://. That's all fine and dandy, but several report templates use directories for detail pages to provide tidy URLs, which doesn't work so well with the file:// protocol, as it opens directories as folders in the Finder. So this version solves that by adding the detail page (e.g. index.html) to the end of the URL. As part of that, it also adds a new report variable, SummaryPath, which is like BasePath but includes the index in the URL of the Summary page when saving to a file:// URL - useful for links from the detail pages back to the summary page.

Lots of good fixes and improvements. Download now!