Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Monitor Mail Forwarding Service?

I've been using Simon happily for a few weeks now -- great product!

I'm a web developer with several clients who rely solely on mail forwarders from their sites -- with no POP accounts at all -- and I'd like to keep an eye on the service. Can Simon help me out?

I personally suffered an instance of a host's email forwarding service going down for TEN DAYS recently -- messages sent to forwarders on the site simply went off into cyberspace -- they didn't bounce, they NEVER came through, they simply vanished! -- so I'm suddenly sensitized to this failure.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jim
---
Jim Kane
Rochester, NY

David Sinclair's picture

Maybe via Port or Script service?

Hi Jim. Thanks for helping to get the forums started.

I'm not sure how mail forwarders work under the hood, so I'm not sure how Simon could monitor them. However, I will say that if it is possible to check on them via a telnet connection, or via a unix command line operation, Simon should be able to do it, via the Port or Script services, respectively.

You could write a script to send a message to the forwarder, but that wouldn't help detect a failure.

If any other readers have any ideas, please reply!

Other Ideas?

David wrote:
> If any other readers have any ideas, please reply!

I'm hoping for that, but against hope as the traffic in your forums is so light as yet.

I was thinking that I might just keep an eye on the POP service of these sites that rely strictly on mail forwarders, on the theory that if POP service is up forwarding will surely be up. But that's just a theory -- I'd love it if a savvy reader could offer some confirmation or an alternative.

Checking the POP service requires that there be at least one active user account with which Simon can have a conversation, right David? I could create a "test" user on a site like this that exists solely for this purpose.

Jim
---
Jim Kane
Rochester, NY

David Sinclair's picture

Yes, you'd need a POP

Yes, you'd need a POP account... and yes, a test one would probably be sufficient to check on the mail forwarders.