Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

SMS notifier

A licensed user wrote the following via email, but I thought my reply would be useful for others:

Would like Simon to send me a text (SMS) on detecting a site down. I know you've told me this can be done indirectly, but a direct method would be preferable. I've never set the indirect method up because I am not sure how to go about it.

That is on my ideas list, so may make it into an upcoming version.

The indirect version is via the E-mail notifier... but it isn't at all difficult, and many customers use it daily.

Most cellphones and pagers support sending text messages to them via email. Usually it is simply a matter of sending a message to your phone number at the phone company's site, e.g. <310-555-1234@phonecompany.com>.

Here's a page (found via Google) that lists the email addresses to use for lots of cellphone providers:

http://www.livejournal.com/tools/textmessage.bml?mode=details

And here's a company that offers the ability to send email to any cellphone, for free; you simply send to <310-555-1234@teleflip.com>:

http://www.teleflip.com/

There are other companies that offer this, too.

I wrote an SMS notifier in

I wrote an SMS notifier in Perl using the Net::SMP module which requires a subscription for the SMS service. It works great.

use Net::SMS;

my $tel_num = "9999999999";
my $msg_txt = "{TestName} <{TestURL}> failed at {TestLastFailureTime} on {TestLastFailureDate}.";
my $msg_from = "SKX SMS";

# Create SMS Object
my $sms = Net::SMS->new();

# Subscriber Settings
#   Do not change these parameters!
$sms->subscriberID("999-999-999-99999");
$sms->subscriberPassword("ZZZZZZZZ");

# Set Message Properties
$sms->msgPin($tel_num);
$sms->msgFrom($msg_from);
$sms->msgCallback("+99999999999");
$sms->msgText($msg_txt);

# Send Message
$sms->msgSend();

# Check For Errors
if ($sms->success)
{
    print "Message was sent!\n";
    print "Ticket Id: " . $sms->ticketId() . "\n";
}
else
{
    print "Message was not sent!\n";
    print "Error Code: " . $sms->errorCode() . "\n";
    print "Error Description: " . $sms->errorDesc() . "\n";
    print "Error Resolution: " . $sms->errorResolution() . "\n";
}

qPage

We use qPage, which is FOSS which send SMS via the phone system. It dials a TAP number with the internal modem and sends the page. This way, if the internet is out, our POTS line likely isn't. The configuration of the system is easy. We use the CLI interface notifier to send pages. Syntax is qpage recpt "message"

It's served us well for 6 years now. It is getting more difficult to find TAP numbers now. Verizon still has one that is free, but I couldn't find a free one for ATT.