Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Problems checking SMTP servers

Hi,
Great work on this app... I've been looking for something to do exactly this for some time.
I had no trouble setting it up to check http and POP mail servers, but I can't get SMTP checks to work. I keep getting the error "Step 2: no receive text specified". Am I missing a step somewhere?

Thanks in advance,
Chad

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Problems checking SMTP servers

That error would indicate that the "If receive:" text on the second line of the Edit Service window is empty. Have you edited the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) service? By default, that field contains "250".

Hi David,
Wow, you're quick :)

The "If receive" blanks are still set to the default "250"... I haven't changed any of the default services.

David Sinclair's picture

If you haven't changed any of the Services, you could quit Simon then try throwing away the "Services.simon" file from your Simon data folder (i.e. ~/Library/Application Support/Simon/Services.simon), and see if that helps.

Failing that, I might need to get a copy of your data to examine it myself with the debugger. You can compress the Simon data folder and email it to me via info at dejal dot com.

David Sinclair's picture

Thanks for sending the data. I have traced it, and found that the server is returning the error "501 Syntax: HELO hostname", but since the service doesn't have anything in the "Or receive:" field (for failures), it is reporting that as the error.

That seems like a bug to me; I think it should output the error intact if there isn't a error handler command, or at least include the server's error message in the logged error.

I will make that change for the next release. In the meantime, you can edit the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) service to change the "helo" text to "helo {TestURL}" (without the quotes); it'll then work.