Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Staggering Checks

Hey David, is there a way to stagger the checks that are performed? Right now I have 10 pages being monitored, and all the checks are performed at the same time. I tried pausing the checks for 1 min, but once they resume they go back to the previous time.

Thanks,
Gord Lacey

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Staggering Checks

Yes, you simply check one test at a time, manually, leaving whatever spacing you want between each check. When a single test is checked, its next due date is updated, but when multiple are checked at once, it is not (to avoid all the checks being performed at once).

Regarding this stagger

Regarding this stagger method: I can't seem to make the spacings stay as they are.

Whenever I restart the computer, whatever spacing I have configured in the past would be over-ridden.

Is there a specific way of doing this? I tried both of these, neither works:

1. Pressing the "check now" button on the 2nd duplicate test at the precise time I want
2. Duplicating the test, and pressing the "OK" button at the precise time I want

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Regarding this stagger

The staggering should be preserved across re-launches. If a test is due in the past, it offsets the due time by the check interval until it is in the future. Otherwise, all tests would immediately be checked on launch, which would be sub-optimal.

I'm not sure what's happening for you. Are both of the relevant tests falling due at the same time after launch? If you try clicking Check Now on one of them subsequently, are they still due at the same time on next launch?

I assume you're clicking Check Now with only one test selected; with none or multiple selected, the tests are all checked, but the scheduling isn't updated (to avoid checking them all at the same time subsequently).

Yah I don't know what's

Yah I don't know what's wrong with mine.

I just created a copy/duplicate of a test, 30second apart, I clicked the "OK" button at the 30second mark, so that the original and the duplicate check the site 30second apart.

I quit Simon, relaunched it. It's 10 second apart now.

What am I doing wrong???

I click/chose the duplicate. At the 30s mark I click "check now" so only that duplicate is checking, the original stays. 30s apart PERFECT!!!

I quit Simon, relaunched it. FORTY second apart now.

Repeated the above, 36s apart.

If the checks can be done every 10s (or less) I wouldn't bother creating the stagger, but this is driving me nuts!

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Yah I don't know what's

I think it might be scheduling the next check after a check is finished, so the duration of the check is affecting the next check time.

I will be changing the way the scheduler works in Simon 3, based on the new scheduler in Time Out 2 (that I'm working on now). So this issue should go away then.

I also plan to add support for second-based scheduling, avoiding the need for duplicate tests for people like you who want more frequent checks.

In the meantime, you could try adding another duplicate, to increase the chances of different times, and just periodically review and adjust them. Leaving Simon running might also help.

Thanks!

Thank you very much, I look forward to Version 3 with bated breath :) :)