Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Next Check - Offline?

Yesterday and today I've noticed that Simon says "Offline" under the "Next Check." This is odd since my connection is fine. Any idea why this is happening, and what I can do to prevent it?

Thanks,
Gord

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Next Check - Offline?

Which service kind is it? I've had a couple of reports of mistaken "offline" issues with the Ping service. Are there any other display artifacts, like missing status icons?

Try manually checking the tests, and see if they come right. Or quit and re-launch Simon and see if that helps.

Yes, the status icons were

Yes, the status icons were missing as well. They were all HTTP checks, and every one of them was affected.

Quitting Simon helps, but I run Simon on a computer I rarely use, so there's the possibility I won't notice that it's offline for a day or two.

Gord

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Yes, the status icons were

I think it is a cosmetic issue; from what I can gather, the tests still work, but are displaying incorrectly. I haven't been able to track down a cause yet.

Next Check - Offline?

I get this result for a Ping test and a HTTP Test. If I check it manually, it does work, as does quitting and re-launching. I also do not log in to this computer very often, so the quitting solution does not work for me.

A

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Next Check - Offline?

What kind of machine do you have (PPC or Intel), and what OS version are you using?

There seems to be an issue affecting some people, perhaps mainly Intel machines, where Simon says it is offline but isn't really. I am working with one kind customer to trace the cause, since I can't recreate it myself. It only seems to affect a small number of people, but is nevertheless a very inconvenient issue, so is a high priority for me.

Any information you can offer that would help narrow it down would be much appreciated. Feel free to contact me directly if you prefer.

My system is a PPC, G4 450 /

My system is a PPC, G4 450 / 896 MB RAM / OSX 10.4.8.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: My system is a PPC, G4 450

Good news: thanks to a lot of help from a customer who tried several builds and sent me debug logs, I have now fixed this "offline" issue.

It turned out to be usually caused by Apple Remote Desktop use (though in theory could happen in other circumstances). ARD seems to put Simon (and probably other apps) into a kind of hibernation state, where it wasn't releasing file system resources that were allocated and done with, until you interact with the machine again.

I have solved this by more tightly controlling how Simon's objects are released (for the technical amongst you, I'm ensuring all timers and notifications have their own local autorelease pools). That does the trick.

I am working on one other important issue (with the new Script service), then will do a bug-fix release: Simon version 2.2.1. Stay tuned.

I do not use ARD, but I do

I do not use ARD, but I do use VNC, so it sounds like the fix will work for me as well.

David Sinclair's picture

Fixed!

Everyone who experienced this issue, please download version 2.2.1b1. It appears to fix this issue. If anyone still experiences it, please let me know ASAP. Thanks to those who helped trace it, and for everyone's patience. It was a tricky one to find, since I was unable to recreate it myself. It only occurred on certain machines, seemingly particularly with Apple Remote Desktop.