Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Probing FileMaker Server

Is it possible to probe the status of FileMaker Server running at an ip address, knowing that FileMaker Server uses port 5003?

I've tried using the notation 192.168.100.52:5003 and received erratic results, fails most of the time even though the server and the computer it's running on are alive and well.

Thanks.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Probing FileMaker Server

Yes, that should work fine. You could try using a Script-based service, using the telnet command-line tool. You should use version 2.2.1, if not already.

What error does it give?

Re: Re: Probing FileMaker Server

No error is given. The test just fails.

What I've noticed is that when I added the :5003 port number notation to the end of an IP, the test went really fast and fails 99% of the time. Too fast actually as a test of 5 packets at 1 packet per second should last five seconds. But with the added notation, the test result always comes back in 0 second, in other words, instantly.

Can you verify that the :port_number syntax is actually valid?

Thanks.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Probing FileMaker Server

Ah, I didn't realize you were using a Ping service. No, I'm pretty sure the ping command line tool, which the Ping service uses, does not support specifying a port. It is bouncing packets off host, not a specific port.

You should use either a Port-based service, or a Script-based one, e.g. to telnet to the IP:port. Telnet does support that syntax.