Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Annoying Simon Assistant dialog

I am having the licensing dialogs pop up EVERY SINGLE DAY and it is driving me crazy. I dutifully click the "I have a license" and the "Finish" button (as my "Enterprise" license already appears in the licensing dialog) and ... it comes back the next day. What is going on??

I actually just noticed a line on the second dialog: "Simon Needs an Upgrade License?" So I need to upgrade, huh? The licensing scheme seems a bit diffuse... (I enjoy licensing schemes that treat me like a criminal as well).

...and I had to post on the forum instead of mailing tech support directly... because their email address is... where...?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Annoying Simon Assistant dialog

Ah, yes, the Simon Assistant is showing up as you need to upgrade.

I just checked my records, and you purchased Simon 1.1.2 in 2003. Version 2 was a paid upgrade, so you need an Upgrade license in addition to your version 1 Enterprise license.

You can buy the upgrade license directly in Simon, or via this link.

I'm sorry if this seems confusing. How can I improve the Simon Assistant to make it more clear what is required? I certainly don't intend it to treat anyone as a criminal, it's just a gentle reminder of a needed purchase.

I'm actually quite proud of my licensing features. It allows purchasing right in the app, lost licenses can be looked up directly in the app, and licenses purchased through the website can be added just by copying the email and opening the window; no typing or pasting required.

As for contact, I do encourage posting to the forums now, so other people can benefit from the answers. But for situations where private contact is preferred, I publish the email address in Simon's About window, and have a link to email on the Contact page, accessible at the bottom of every page on the site, and via other links. Again, I welcome suggestions on how I can make that more accessible.

hEADcRASH's picture

Helpful Simon Assistant

Thank you for your replies.

1) I have paid for the upgrade (via KAGI). I was unable to purchase it inside of the application because "Upgrade" was dimmed (non-selectable).

2) I was speaking more in general terms about "being treated like a criminal," not specifically by you. My aggravation level climbs rapidly the more hoops I have to jump through to register/serialize/etc. an application.

3) As for the licensing interface (Simon Assistant), my thought it that either your hand is held with "assistants" or you don't implement them at all. Anything in-between is really confusing. For instance, if the SA popped up a dialog, in my case, saying "your [enterprise] license must be upgraded from 1.x to 2.x. Upgrade now? [Yes] [No]," I would have (clearly) understood what was going on. In other cases, simply ask whether or not people wanted to upgrade/update/etc. their basic/standard/etc. licenses and present their choices. If not, tell them how long until the "trail period" expires and continue. If so, take them to the website, or, better yet, use something like eSellerate and do it all inline. If all of this is a hassle, then don't do it at all. The way it exists now, especially with a dialog box that can display more than one license is just plain confusing.

4) I can appreciate your shortcuts (copy n' paste the email), but, as I said above, my feeling is to go all the way or don't do it at all.

5) I didn't consider the About Box for an email address... ...although I should have spent the time to find the "Contact Us" link. I would consider having a direct link all over the place (the app., the site, etc.) and then have a link to a FAQ where you post summarized questions and your answers. Wading through others' questions and responses is a bit of a hassle, and you can remove any emotional/combative/unnecessary language.

My $.02,

::Glenn

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Helpful Simon Assistant

Thank you for upgrading.

Thanks for the bug report about the Upgrade option. I just tried it with a version 1 license, and confirm that the Buy Upgrade radio button is disabled (and the first three buy options were mistakenly enabled). I'll fix that. I noticed that the text at the top of the window said "Welcome to Dejal Simon!" instead of "Simon Needs an Upgrade License" as it should -- it only had that on the license editor page. So I can certainly see how that could be confusing. I'll fix that, too.

I used to have a simple panel that you had to dismiss before continuing, with a few simple buttons. But I felt that just added more steps to the process. The new implementation shows you the options: try for free, enter an existing license, or buy one of the available options (with brief descriptions and costs of each clearly spelt out).

I had to offer multiple buy choices, as the built-in Kagi purchasing tool (which is like eSellerate's) only supports buying one license kind. I could have had an extra page to choose which license to buy, but again that was an extra unnecessary step.

Re contact, there is a FAQ link at the top of every page, too, with an item in the General FAQs on contacting, that just links to the contact page. And the Help menu in Simon has FAQ and Forums menu items. (As I mentioned, I used to have an email option there too, but I'm trying to encourage forum participation now.)

Thanks for the feedback; it's helpful in improving Simon and the website.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Helpful Simon Assistant

Note: the Upgrade button issue has been fixed in version 2.3.

hEADcRASH's picture

Aaaaaand it begins all over again...

I hadn't used Simon for awhile, but I've moved it over to a new machine [MBA], and I am having licensing issues ALL OVER AGAIN. I've entered the enterprise license, it shows up as "Upgrade," but I am constantly hassled by "you can only monitor 20 websites" dialog boxes and the subsequent "you are unlicensed" licensing dialog boxes.

Even removing and then "finding" the license results in the same "upgrade" license appearing again, but the "you can't" licensing dialog(s) continue to show up.

I went as far as purchasing a "standard" to "enterprise" upgrade AGAIN, the license is "found," but the licensing boxes KEEP COMING UP.

The "upgrade button" may have been "fixed," but there are still unnecessarily frustrating issues remaining in your "licensing" scheme.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Aaaaaand it begins all over again...

The "Upgrade" license is not sufficient. You need your original license.

You need to enter the info of your original order. I'll email you privately with the information you need.