Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

What is a "next check" status of "waiting"

I have a bunch of tests set to run every 15 minutes, but after about an hour of monitoring, the "Next Check" column shows a status of "Waiting" for all checks, meaning that Simon has effectively stopped checking.

I can't find this status anywhere in the docs (so far). If I quit and restart Simon, checking resums "as expected".

TIA, Steve

David Sinclair's picture

Re: What is a "next check" status of "waiting"

The status of "Waiting" occurs in two situations:

1. When the computer is sleeping, or just woken. When the OS notifies Simon that it is going to sleep, it sets the tests to waiting mode, then after it wakes, Simon waits for 15 seconds before resuming checks, to allow the internet connection time to wake up.
  2. When the license reminder is displayed (for unlicensed copies of Simon). Simon has a very open evaluation period, with no missing features from a fully licensed copy. It just has a friendly reminder at most once per day, during which Simon pauses checks until you acknowledge it, to avoid your just ignoring the reminder. So check that the Simon Assistant isn't open (it may have gone behind the Monitor window if you clicked in that or used an option that brings the Monitor window to the front.

Re: What is a "next check" status of "waiting"

I believe you're correct (about the license). I bought my license, but since I'm still in "setup mode", I haven't entered it yet.

So... I entered it today, and I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple days...

Thanks for such a cool app.

Steve