Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

mysql

I am trying to use the mysql action.

I can connect remotely via Navicat, so I know the username and password are correct. I do not need a socket to connect with these.

However, with SImon it says I cannot connect to the server. Am I missing something

A few questions

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the MySQL functionality in Simon.

I wrote both the MySQL service (test) and the MySQL notifier for Simon, hopefully I can help figure out what the problem is. If it's not too much trouble, I have a few questions about how you are using things.

- Is it the notifier or the service that you're having trouble with it?
- What version of Simon are you using?
- What is the exact message Simon presents when it fails.
- Is it a remote database, or on the same machine as Simon is running on (localhost)?
- I assume you have values in the server, port, database, query, username and password fields, is this correct?

We might need to get a bit specific later on, but lets start here. I see from your user profile you have listed your system as a MacBook, is this the computer you're running Simon on?

mysql response

Actually it might be working, but the preview mode when I setup the test was failing.

However, when I run the test is hows no errors in themain screen

Sorry I didn't think of that

Sorry I didn't think of that sooner. For this service, there is an issue with previewing the test from the New/Edit Test window. If you need to preview your test, you can set it up, the run Preview from the toolbar at the top of the main (Monitor) window, but you need to run the test in the Monitor window at least once before Previewing it. The same thing applies after you edit it.

Simon MySQL non-standard ports (i.e. not 3306)

Having seen this same problem myself, one thing I suspected (before having read this thread) was that it had something to do with MySQL listening on a port other than 3306.

I can confirm though that (at least with version 2.3.4 and 2.3.5) it works like a champ on ports other than 3306. The ONLY requirement is that you have to actually *run* a test before you can get 'Preview' to work. A bit back-to-front as some would say, but at least it works! :-D