Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Occasional hanging?

I have Simon running, monitoring primarily web and mail connections. Very simple monitors with no real tweaks of any kind (I'm brand new to Simon, and haven't delved into the depths yet).

I have it running on a G5 PowerMac which is kept up to date with the latest software updates (currently running 10.4.9). When I'm on the road (which is often), the only thing running on this Mac is Simon and my Home Automation software (Indigo 2.0.9).

Twice now I've come back after a week on the road and found Simon eating roughly 80% of the CPU, and no way to interact with it. I can "bring it forward", click on the interface, or anything else. The Indigo software continues to operate normally, as does anything else I launch.

The only solution I've found to date is CMD-OPT-ESC and forcing Simon to quit.

If/when this happens again, and while Simon is "hanging", is there anything I can do to try and trace why it's happening?

TIA for any advice/suggestions?

Steve

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Occasional hanging?

This used to be an issue, but I had thought I'd solved it in future versions. Sounds like there may be a lingering issue when Simon is left alone for a long period of time.

If this occurs again, the two things that would be most helpful would be:

1. A screenshot showing how Simon appears (which may indicate what state it is in);
2. A sample of the process activity.

For the latter, launch Activity Monitor (found in your /Applications/Utilities folder), click on Simon in the list, choose Get Info, click the Sample button, and save the result. You can then email that to me via the contact page.

I have some further changes planned for a future version that should eliminate this issue entirely, but if I can improve it in the current versions, I'm keen to do so. Thanks for your feedback and help on this.

Update on hanging

This issue "could" be a problem with leaving Simon "untouched" for a while. I've been working out of my house for the last three weeks, and it's been just fine. It's only done it twice now, and both times after I returned home after being gone for a week. I have a couple more trips planned in the near future, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Steve

Update (again) on hanging

David,

It happened again today. I've sent you the files you requested via the contact page....

Steve

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Update (again) on hanging

Thanks.