Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

notifier pause not working

I have fail/recover notifiers that send SMS messages to my phone (send email to I don't want to receive the notifications in the middle of the night, so I set both notifiers to automatically pause "Every Day" from 22:00:00 to 06:00:00.

However, I still receive failure SMS messages at 1am or 2am in the morning. I thought perhaps there was a 24/0 hour rollover problem, so I changed it to two notifiers, one from 22:00:00 to 23:59:59 and one from 00:00:01 to 06:00:00. Still, I again seem to receive failure SMS messages in the middle of the night.

The failure notifier (for example) is set to notify on failure, after 2 consecutive errors, with the "Only notify once for each failure" option set/checked. It's an "E-mail" notifier w/ pretty straight forward field contents.

In checking the failure log, I see lots of

Timeout: Check failed to complete in time limit

messages. But I guess these are "normal" as I see them in the user's guide examples.

However, in trying to correlate the "ill-timed" notifications (middle of the night) with failures as indicated in the respective logs, I see that the ill-timed notifications appear to be coming shortly after NSError messages such as the following:

NSError "POSIX error: Operation Timed Out" Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=60
NSError "POSIX error: Connection refused" Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=61

Any idea what's up?

This is with Simon 2.2.2 running on OS X 10.4.9. The test in question (that is resulting in the ill-timed notifications) is an SMTP test of an OS X Server machine running 10.4.9.

Using google I found one other mention of this NSError.

Where they say "Basically the details of the bug are as follows, it always comes late at night, sometimes when I'm asleep, but mostly when my internet connection is flakey." Hmmm....

David Sinclair's picture

Re: notifier pause not working

I wonder if it could be a resource limitation - similar to the busy idle thing some other people have experienced? Though it doesn't sound like it.

Thanks for the report; I will investigate when I get back from WWDC.

Helpful hint?