Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

E-mail notifier

I downloaded Simon 2.3 to try it out and I'm having an issue with it. It is not sending out e-mail when a failure, change or recovery occurs. I tried to test it by click on Notify Now button in the Notifiers section but it worked once and I got the following:

"...[Sample Only] failed at [Last Failure Time] on [Last Failure Date]..."

I tried using a SMTP and the Mailer using sendmail and none of them works. I really like the interface and I might be interested into buying a license but without having the e-mail notifier working I'm afraid that won't work for me.

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't be sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Leppy

David Sinclair's picture

Re: E-mail notifier

If the Notify Now button works (i.e. successfully sends a sample email), the notifier must be set up correctly.

So, my first suggestion would be to check your test configuration: do you list the notifier in the Notifiers section of the Edit Test window for the appropriate tests? That's an important step that people sometimes overlook.

I'm having the same issue.

I'm having the same issue. Everything is set up correctly (mail server and authentication), yes the notifier is listed for the appropriate test, and the notifications log is showing an email notification occurred but I get nothing in my inbox. In addition, clicking the Notify Now button in the Notifiers window doesn't send an email.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: I'm having the same issue.

If the Notify Now button doesn't result in an email, that usually means that the notifier isn't quite right.

Check out the Why isn't my E-mail Notifier working? FAQ item for some tips.

wedix's picture

Got it to work

I got it to work using the Automatic mode since I have a mail server running on the same machine.

Sendmail and the other method doesn't seems to work for me.

e-mail notifier not working

I just purchased and installed Simon. I can't get the e-mail notifier to work either. Tried both SMTP and Automatic. Can't even get the "Notify Now" test to work. I have plenty of experience setting up mail servers. Why is this so tough?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: e-mail notifier not working

I do want to improve it. One of the most common errors is not filling in all of the fields (or at least From, To and Subject) correctly. Make sure the From and To fields have valid email addresses. From is particularly important, as it implies the SMTP server that is used.

email notifier partially solved

I have it working now using a .mac account. There seems to be a problem when I use my Apple mail account to send myself the notification email. Here's the scenario:

My company e-mail server is example.com. I set up Simon email notifier using this mail server in either the Automatic or SMTP method. Both methods work fine to send an e-mail to, for instance, an AOL account or .mac account. Neither method will send an e-mail back to anyone on my mail server, for instance bob@example.com or bill@example.com. I have checked all the anti-spam settings on my mail server and everything seems fine. I can send an email to myself or anyone on my example.com mail server using Apple mail, but not when using the Simon notifier. As I stated earlier, .mac or AOL yes, my own server no.

I will use a .mac account for now. It works fine. If I find why Simon and my mail server seem to conflict I will write back.

Thanks for your quick reply. Happy Thanksgiving. Your program works great!