Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Deactivate a test?

I'm just getting my feet wet with Simon Basic, adding one test of a personal website to the test provided out of the box.

The "Recent Apple Downloads" test began failing about 4 hours ago, resulting in a persistent red arrow in my menu bar.

I'd like to set this failing test aside for the moment. It appears my only option is to delete it and recreate it later, assuming I can get the test specified correctly.

It would be much nicer to simply disable the test and re-enable it in a few hours/days.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Deactivate a test?

You can deactivate it very easily: just pause it. The Pause Test command displays a sheet allowing you to pause (disable) it for a specified interval, or indefinitely (i.e. until you resume/reactivate it).

Pause is not quite Deactivate

I noticed Pause in my survey of the UI but passed it by because I was expecting/hoping to find something like deactivate in Mail (accounts) and iCal (calendars). In these two apps, deactivate removes the items from the main displays.

I see now that Pause removes a test's affect on the menu bar icon, but it stays in both panes of the main window.

Simon's Pause is similar to Mail's deactivating of Rules -- leave an item in the list, but don't act on it.

Aside: Since I'm currently considering Simon Basic, I was also hoping to find a way to retain tests without having them count against the quota of 7. Since I haven't purchased Basic, I can't tell how Pause affects the quota.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Pause is not quite Deactivate

If tests were deactivated in a way that removed them from the Monitor window, how would you access them again? I'm always open to new design ideas, and in fact am already planning a fairly big redesign for version 3, so suggestions are most welcome.

One solution is a groups concept, which I do want to add in the future. You'd be able to have all of your tests in the "library", and have a group listing only non-paused ones.

Paused tests do not count towards the Basic and Standard license limits.