Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Can't get Reporting to Remote Server to work

Have been wrestling with creating reports on a remote server. Hoping I can get some guidance.

There are 2 problems:

1) Properly settings up the FTP paths.
I know my way around setting FTP log ins, but I can't quite figure out what Simon is doing when it reports that it is sending the report, but no report is created on the remote site. There is evidence that it creates an empty, but no files. I have check permissions and they should be fine. What to do?

2) On trying the local reporting option, I do get a series of folders, but I'm not sure how to use them. Some have index.html files in them, but not a the root. The root has an ".inc" file. What is this for?

Thanks for the help.

Jonathan

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Can't get Reporting to Remote Server to work

1. So does it upload anything to the remote server, or nothing? If anything, it should upload everything; if nothing, a FTP is probably incorrect.

2. The ".inc" file is for embedding the report on another page, as on the Simon product page sidebar. It is created by the "Embedded" report template. If you don't want that, you should use a different template, e.g. the "Stylish" one.

The #2 issue may be related to the #1 issue, too.

Thanks for answer to

Thanks for answer to question #2. That makes sense.

Back to question #1: FTP.

Having a heck of a time uploading to OS X server 10.4, and being able to get reproducible results to report to you.

At present, it uploads just a blank index.html file in the root report folder, and nothing else. During testing, it has uploaded other files, but they were 0K and blank also. Am using Administrator password, so it should work. Diagnosing is complicated by lack of reporting from Simon. The status shows that it is "working" and it runs through the percent done, and then reports "available"...but it actually hasn't completed the task.

I know it sounds like a permissions issue, but I have been over that. Permissions are:
simon rwxrwxr-x
mydirectory rwxrwxr-x
index.html rw-r--r-- (Zero KB)

Any suggestions?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: FTP

I plan to add better error logging in a future version, since I agree that it can sometimes be difficult to track down errors at present.

So, it must be connecting to your server correctly, and creating the files correctly, but is unable to upload any data. Could you be out of disk space? Ruling out permissions, I can't think of any other reason for that behavior.

You could confirm that the local copy is valid, though I would expect it to be. When the report is created, a local copy is saved in a sub-folder of "~/Library/Application Support/Dejal/Simon/Report Cache".

have same problem

My FTP target has 4TB of open disc space, I've been working w/FTP for years (31 yrs as a systems engineer) and, only a few days ago, had a report uploading to an FTP directory. It has just stopped and there is nothing else wrong w/the configuration or network. It's in a lab designed for testing software and OS configurations for OS X, running, in this case, 10.4.10, PowerPC. Nothing will restore it and starting over, trashing all caches, prefs, local copies of the report directory. I've noted there are 4 reports of this same issue in the Forums. Any indication this may be a bug at this point? Running version 2.3.2, no 3rd party apps, no device drivers other than OEM/OS installed.

thank you,

Keith Bumgarner