Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Getting reporting working - page links are broken

Problem - no matter what template I choose, having a report write to a test folder on the desktop gets some pages, but links between pages don't work.

There are some differences between the templates, but - in general, there's an index page and a link to each test. That link, however, just opens the subfolder in the finder, not the enclosed page. And the return-to-summary link at the bottom of an item page opens the folder that holds the summary page in the finder, does not open the page in the browser.

It's been a while since I ran Simon - I remember having teething problems with reports, but they eventually ran for me and wrote to an FTP site. I think I'm setting it up right, and find no more info in the guide/faq/forum.- same operation on any browser, saved as several different names, to several different places, tested all templates, and downloaded the new fancy from extras - same result, files that can open individually, but links back and forth don't work.

Any thoughts would be useful - TIA

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Getting reporting working - page links are broken

I think the issue there would be how the Web Sharing server on your machine handles directory links. By default, the templates are set up to use a directory path for the sub-page URLs, as I feel that is tidier than a "index.html" link. This style works fine for me. But perhaps some configurations prefer to open the directory in the Finder instead.

I'm not sure how to change your web server to handle such URLs differently, but you can change the templates to make it work. Simply edit them to add "index.html" after the directory slash.

Re: Getting reporting working - page links

Thanks for the reply -

> how the Web Sharing server on your machine handles directory links.

The templates do assume the report is on a web server configured to look for an "index.html" file, in which case using only a dir/ works.

If the server looks for "default" or "index.htm", for example, or you wanted to save the report to a disc or viewed directly by a browser as local file, then, yes, the template needs editing so the link is complete. It's a little more than just adding "index.html", but between that, removing the "wordcase" statements, and substituting "ShortName" for "name" in a few places, the result should work everywhere, and look correct (LPC stays LPC in titles and headings). I'll test it a bit more, then upload it to the extras area for all.

Thanks -

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Getting reporting working - page links

Please do; I'm happy to share tweaked and custom templates for others benefit.

Re "index.htm" or other variations, if you didn't want to avoid using directories references, you could just rename the template file.

David Sinclair's picture

Discovered an issue with reports

Regarding this issue, thanks to a discussion with another customer, I've found a source of confusion.

If you choose Desktop, Documents, or other locations than the two web directories, Simon offers a "file://" URL to access it. But file:// URLs do display directories in the Finder, rather than loading the index file within that directory.

So the workaround for now is to use one of the two web-server options (the first two in the Where pop-up menu) if you want to view the report via Personal Web Sharing.

I will modify Simon in a future release to add the index.html suffixes to links when saving in a location other than one of the web directories.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Discovered an issue with reports

Now fixed for version 2.3.3.