Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Enhancement Request: Notifier window (and more)

I have an event where I've defined a number of notifiers, basically notifying via email 3 people whenever a site goes down, and the same three when it comes back up.

I'd like to be able to "drag the events around" so I can order them in a way that makes sense to me. Right now they are listed in the order that they were created. Trying to keep all the "down" notifiers with the "up" notifiers means that I have to delete all of the items between and redefine them. I'd love to be able to drag'n'drop for sort order.

I do realize that this means the addition of a "order key", but it would make my life easier when I have 10 or more notifiers on some of my events.

Thanks for a cool product!

Steve

AttachmentSize
Picture 2.png65.34 KB
David Sinclair's picture

Re: Enhancement Request: Notifier window (and more)

Firstly, I'm not sure why you'd want to reorder them, other than for aesthetic reasons. The order doesn't really matter as far as Simon is concerned; they'll all be used when appropriate.

But yes, it could be tidier to allow reordering them. I will be replacing the control used to list them in a future version (to use the Leopard-native control instead), so that should allow that.

Also, I am planning on adding a group concept for tests, and am thinking of extending that concept to notifiers too. If I do that, you'd be able to define a group containing notifiers for all three people, and just add that group to the test.

Thanks for the feedback!

Re: Enhancement Request: Notifier window (and more)

Groups for tests would be great. Maybe even notifiers for the groups as well.

I agree that the change I

I agree that the change I was requesting is purely cosmetic and won't affect operation in any way. It's just to make my life easier.... :)

And... I LOVE the idea of grouping tests and notifiers. I maintain (watch) a number of websites for different companies, and it would be great to create a notifier for each user, a group for each company, and be able to assign a notifier to one or more groups. That way, my tech staff could be added to all groups, while clients would be only in their groups, and I could just set up one "test" with one "notify" group....

Looking forward to the future!

Steve

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Looking forward to the future!

That makes two of us. :) I'm really excited about the proposed changes, and looking forward to working on them.