Caboodle icon Caboodle
Lean, clean snippet machine

Feature Request: Entries Linked to Keyboard Shortcuts

The first entry in my Caboodle "Library" is simply called "TODO", which contains a list of things that I want to do soon (duh!).

The point is, it's an entry which I access much more frequently than any other entry.

This got me thinking it would be nice if there was a good way to quickly access certain entries which I look at more often than others. My thought was to have a (user-assignable?) keyboard shortcut for that particular entry. Basically, I would like to be able to hit "Command-1" (or Command-T or Ctrl-G or whatever) to select a particular entry.

A natural extension of this would be to have a multiple different entries linked to different keyboard shortcuts. I could for example imagine ten slots (Command-1 through Command-0) linking the user to their 10 most used entries.

From a UI standpoint, I can imagine at least two different ways to do this:

1) Have a preference pane, where people indicate the entry (and possibly the key combination). However unless you can drag/drop the entry into the preference pane, it would be really tough to specify the entry easily.

2) Have a dropdown menu of possible keyboard shortcuts (ie "None", and Command-1 through Command-0) available for each entry, so you select the shortcuts via the entries themselves.

Naturally I haven't got a clue how easy/hard any of this is to accomplish, but thought I would throw it out there.

I do notice that "Command-1" is already linked to "Show Caboodle".

msykes

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Feature Request: Entries Linked to Keyboard Shortcuts

That's a good suggestion. I think option 2 would be the most intuitive; I agree that option 1 could be confusing.

If I used Cmd-1 etc, I could perhaps move the Show Caboodle command to Cmd-0, allowing 9 shortcuts for entries.

Or I could allow assigning custom ones, but then we'd have to worry about conflicting with existing keyboard equivalents.

If using Cmd-1 through Cmd-9, those could simply be automatically assigned to the first 9 entries at the top level. That'd cover your TODO entry, though perhaps you'd want other shortcuts to be assigned to child entries?

Yeah, I can only imagine

Yeah, I can only imagine that allowing custom shortcuts would lead to accidental conflicts and confusion. Cmd-(Number) seems as good as anything, and intuitive (at least to my line of thinking) to boot.

If assigning Cmd-1 through Cmd-9 to the first 9 top-level entries is markedly easier to implement than assignment to arbitrary entries, then I would definitely support this. I think that would cover a lot of usefulness. It would also solve the problem of forgetting which entries you had assigned a particular shortcut too, and then trying to reassign things when you want to reorder your top entries (like the hell I go through when I rearrange by 1-9 speeddial numbers on my cell phone).

For my own particular uses, child entries are pretty much by definition lesser-viewed entries, so I would not miss out on hot-keying directly to them, but of course others may feel differently.

msykes

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Yeah, I can only imagine

Thanks for the feedback. This does sound like a good feature to add, and yes, having the shortcuts automatically assigned to the first 9 entries would definitely be easier, both to implement and (more importantly) to use.

How about Aliasses

Hi,
one feature i would like to see added is alias
e.g. I have a collection "idea's" and sometimes I want to use one of these idea's in a lead in my collection "Leads" so I would like to make an alias to that particular item instead of copying it so updates under Leads are automaticaly reflected under Ideas

David Sinclair's picture

Re: How about Aliasses

Yes, that is a feature I'd like to add in the future, too. There are a few ways of doing it, but I think I know the best way. Thanks; I'll add your vote for this feature!