Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Incorrect info from Simon

I have added a URL to the list that Simon monitors for me and Simon indicates that the contact to the site has failed and gives the red down arrow symbol. This has been constant since I added the URL last week but if I click check site it opens the site immediately. The connection did actually fail for a few minutes this week and Simon did email me the warning etc but even after recovery it displays a failure message and I have no indication od uptime. Anyone have any ideas?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Incorrect info from Simon

What is the error listed in the Errors view of the Monitor window?

The most common cause of a false failure is entering incorrect Smart Change Detection text, i.e. text that isn't found in the page source. You should also check that the URL is correct.

Hi I have checked it over a

Hi

I have checked it over a few times and even pasted it in from the address bar of the browser. It must be correct because if it wasn't, when I clicked 'visit site' from within Simon it wouldn't find the site. But it does and it is viewable within Simon. The only Smart detection text I have is html and /html

It's an odd one !

David Sinclair's picture

What error is displayed for

What error is displayed for the test?

If you want to check the entire page, there's no need to enter "html" and "/html" - just leave the Start and End text blank. I suspect that that would be the solution.

Error Fixed

Hi

I did as you said and removed the html /html change detection and it now works fine. Strange though as I have the same change detection on all the other sites I monitor.

Thanks for all you help

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Error Fixed

Perhaps that site uses all-caps HTML and /HTML? I think it's case sensitive.

But anyway, as I said, there's no need to enter anything to check the entire page.