problem with QuickEncrypt 3.0.3

In filling in my profile info I used OS 9.x because that is the system I must use for QE 3, but more often I am using the latest version of OSX. I purchased QE several years ago and have been using it sporadically. I encrypted a large number of files and saved them to some CDs a couple of years ago. Today I needed to check some info in some of those files. First, when I tried to open QE, I got a message saying my registration had expired, so I sent in the form to re-register, with my credit card authorizing another $25 payment.
I did not know if that would automatically allow me to use the program again, but this time I tried to open it by clicking on one of the encrypted files on the CD. It listed the options and I selected Auto Decrypt, expecting the password to be requested next. Instead, I got a small error window declaring: Disk is Software Locked.
What does that mean? Is it not decrypting because the re-register info has not been processed? I do not know otherwise how the disk became locked. I opened various files (decrypting them) a number of times over the past months, and there was not problem.
So I have 2 questions: 1) what is the software locking thing and how do I unlock it?, and 2) is the newer QE 4 OSX compatible, and will it decrypt QE 3 files then re-encrypt under QE 4?
Thanks
Jack Fouquette (jack.fouquette@asu.edu)

David Sinclair's picture

Re: problem with QuickEncrypt 3.0.3

If you mailed a registration form for the obsolete version 3 of QuickEncrypt, it will be returned to you - I no longer have that PO Box in New Zealand.

QuickEncrypt (all versions) is now freeware. You can get a serial number for version 3 via the Dejal Classic software page.

The "software locking" thing would refer to a disk that has the "Locked" checkbox ticked in Get Info in the Finder. Or might refer to a permissions issue.

Yes, QE 4 runs on Mac OS X, and will decrypt QE 3 files. The format is the same for both versions.

Thanks David

I sent the email form that was part of the registration file, but it went to the ...nz email address. Is that still functional?; it did not bounce back, yet.

I can't see a link to a classic software page, and a search for 'classic software' only quoted part of my first comment. After I send this I will try some more.

I too want to send condolences on the loss of Pi. I still remember losing my cat "Boots" as a child over 60 years ago, and recently we lost our 13-yr-old poodle, "Friski". They really do become part of the family and it indeed leaves an empty place in one's life.

Jack

David Sinclair's picture

No, the dejal.co.nz domain expired a few years ago, so emails there will likely vanish into the ether.

Click this link for the Classic page. It isn't linked from my home page, but is from a few other places, like my About page and Store pages.

Thank you for the condolences. Yes, it is hard, and will take some adjustment.

Re: problem with QuickEncrypt 3.0.3, and 4.0

I found the page to download QE 4.0; still hunting for the classic software page.
Downloaded 4.0 and opened it, to see if it will open my 3.0 files. There is no Worksets menu, and I cannot find a command on the menu to encrypt or archive a file. I tried to click on the filename to see if it would ask my password and decrypt a file. I copied a file from the CD to a folder on the HD andtried that one too. Nothing happens. Maybe I am just dense today. CAn you tell me how to issue the command to decrypt a given file? And also how to tell it to encrypt a file? It seems to have the critical menu missing.

Thanks

Jack

David Sinclair's picture

Re: problem with QuickEncrypt 3.0.3, and 4.0

See my previous reply for the Classic page.

The easiest way to encrypt and decrypt with QE 4 is to drop a file or folder on the application icon. If it's encrypted, you can decrypt it, and vice versa.

QE 4 is missing some of QE 3's features, as it was a complete rewrite for Mac OS X, and there was insufficient interest in it to justify continuing working on it. I basically just provided it for people like you who used QE 3 and upgraded to Mac OS X, but long term I'd recommend moving to other tools.