Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Getting through security and clicking through a page stumps me

To get to the site I want to check for changes, I:

click on the homepage of the site:

It prompts me for "ID" and "PIN", not "username" and "password." Once the site opens to the home page, I must click on a choice on that page to display the page I wish to check for changes.

This seems to go well beyond the simple request for username and password in the Simon setup, compounded by the fact that the site in question asks for ID, then PIN.

What am I missing? Some combination of Automator and scripting? So far, I have experience with neither one.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Getting through security and clicking through a page stumps

What you need to do is open the Edit Test window for that test, then click the Preview button and do the login there. The ID and PIN will be recorded in the cookies for the test, then you can click OK in the test to save it, and it'll use that for subsequent checks.

You do that instead of using the Username and Password fields for sites that have form-based logging in (which works with cookies).

Still stumped, maybe

Is there a way to ask Simon to sequence through its steps to show me what it's doing? My path is login page where I submit login info --> "home page" & "search for assignments" button --> assignment page where I look for changes.

I went through the login procedure in "Preview." That opened the so-called "home page" for the user who logs in. Then, still in Preview and on the "home page", I clicked on a "search for assignments" button which took me to a page which normally shows me that there are no assignments. The listing of an assignment should mean a change and a notifier.

After going through the three pages in Preview, I clicked on "check now." Simon showed a green triangle, presumably indicating that the page is still up and unchanged, but the time for the check was listed as '0 seconds." Does that mean it succeeded?

That uncertainty is why I wish I could step through the events to see what Simon sees and what it's doing.

The URL I've asked Simon to check for change is the final URL, not the login page. Is that correct?

Bob Ball

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Still stumped, maybe

Simon can log in as you did, but can't do the "search for assignments" part unless you use the final URL. It sounds like that's what you did, so it should be fine.

A green triangle does mean success. Zero seconds just means it took less than a second to complete, which is entirely possible with simple sites.

You can check that all is well by quitting and re-launching Simon (to clear out caches etc), select the test in the Monitor window, and click Check Now. If successful, you can click Preview to view the result.