Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

seeking some guidance with an apc7900 to remote control via applescript

Hi -- I've been using Whistleblower for years, but development with it stalled some time ago. Whistleblower is a lot like Simon; however, it has the integrated ability to log into an APC masterswitch with the 9606 card and perform actions one can specify in the Whistleblower app. (such as cut power to a specified outlet, restore power, etc.)

Whistleblower hasn't evolved with the APC line of products, and things have changed since the old firmware in the 9606. I'd love to have simple tasks such as power on/off to individual outlets with an APC 7900. Has anyone written applescripts or otherwise successfully mated Simon with these tasks on the APC PDU equipment? This is the only reason I haven't purchased Simon (Whistleblower still works fine to notify me of outages even if it can no longer do anything about them). Simon has a pretty interface, but until I can learn to craft or modify scripts to truly manage network devices, it's hard to press over to Simon.

Perhaps a collection of scripts and such collected and included with the product would resolve this.

Any direction would be most appreciated.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: seeking some guidance with an apc7900 to remote control via

I would be keen to add APC masterswitch services in Simon. I'll echo your request: if anyone has written such scripts, please let us know.

If nobody can help, I plan to try to implement such in a future version... but it'll be quite a while before I can get around to that. From my understanding, it should be possible to implement it all in AppleScript, so anyone should be able to write scripts for Simon.

How exactly would you do

How exactly would you do this in AppleScript? Does the management card accept remote AppleScript commands?

We've got several switched APC PDUs so something like this may be a benefit to us as well.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: How exactly would you do

I'm not familiar with the APC units, so can't say for sure, but I gathered that they have some local software that might be AppleScriptable. Perhaps that's not correct?

I did see something about communicating with it via telnet, too, so a Port-based service could be feasible.

Does your user guide have any information on this?

APC

The APC units accept access via a web browser, telnet or ssh for commands. It would seem the telnet or ssh is the way to applescript in, since one can (in theory) write an applescript to do just about anything at the CLI level.

I'll see if I can provide some additional information re this. APC is great about some things, but finding the right documentation takes significant work.

How whistleblower did it

I believe, based on the commands I see in my whistleblower, that this was done via the telnet sessions. whistleblower could even pull the 'names' assigned to outlets and populate that in its interface (kind of handy).

The AP7900 supports individual outlet names (like the 9606 card before it), immediate on, off, delayed on, delayed off, immediate reset, delayed reset. That would just about cover any needs I would have for individual outlets.

I'll write APC today requesting the documentation. Sorry getting back so late to this party, but my last post to James Sentman's list just bounced back. He said he was going to start rewriting his product a few months ago, but with this lack of communication, I need to find a new solution now.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: How whistleblower did it

Thanks for the info. You might like to check out the Notifier Scripts on the Simon Extras page: Joe Savelberg kindly provided a script that allows resetting an outlet on an APC Masterswitch.

David, Thank you... I'll

David,

Thank you... I'll check it out!

AP7900 Command Line data

David,

I've received some info from APC regarding their CLI and products. It's a PDF. I'll be playing later regarding the scripts already posted and what they sent. Do you want a copy of the docs?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: AP7900 Command Line data

Yes, that could be useful. Please email via the address on the contact page.