Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

0 sec check duration?

I'm trying to monitor an all-Flash http:// site, and each check is lasting for 0 seconds! So I'm assuming that 0 seconds means that the checking isn't working. Is this because the site is all flash? If so, is there anything I can do about it? Thanks so much; I appreciate any help!

Oh, okay, I just saw that durations are only given in whole seconds. That said, how can I be sure that the checking is working? If I check manually it seems to take at least 3 seconds until the page can be viewed in its entirety. Is it truly possible to detect whether there has been a change in Flash content in less than a second? Is it at all possible to check whether there has been a change in Flash content?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: 0 sec check duration?

Yes, it only displays whole seconds, so zero means "less than 1 second". I'd like to make it record partial seconds... have to see how hard that would be.

When it checks a web page, it just fetches the HTML, not images or embedded media (as that would take too long, and those rarely change normally). So if the HTML changed, Simon will notice and indicate a change. But if only flash content changed (with no related HTML changes), Simon won't notice.

For failures, a failure means the HTML couldn't be loaded, or didn't match the Smart Change Detection text.

Thanks, David. I suspected as much with the flash change vs. html change. Sigh. Well, I appreciate your help!

David Sinclair's picture

All is not lost. If you actually want to monitor the flash content for changes, you can enter its URL in a test. Simon will download the flash data, and notify you if it changes, or can't be read. (Previewing it won't display meaningful data; it'll just display as text. But that won't interfere with Simon checking it.)

I'm not sure I entirely understand... I'm pretty sure that the site I'm monitoring *is* the URL for the flash content. The content isn't embedded in the site or anything. So does that mean that just having a standard http:// test is enough? And I'm assuming I wouldn't want that 'Smart Change' enabled?

David Sinclair's picture

If you Show Source on the test and see everything you want to monitor, that is sufficient. If not, it must be embedded media.

Can you give a URL example that I can look at? Via email if you prefer.

I just emailed it to you. Thanks!