Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Feature Request - dependencies

We are transitioning our monitoring from WhistleBlower to Simon.
WB has a nice feature where you can designate that a test will not fail if another specific test is also in failure mode.

The idea being that if your router is down that you don't get notifications for all the systems you are monitoring that are beyond that device.

Implementation wise, you might look at adding that as another way of designating that a test be Paused.

TIA

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Feature Request - dependencies

I do plan to add a "groups" concept in a future version of Simon (probably within a year). That would include an option to not check other tests in the group if any fails.

Implementing the dependency as a pause option is an intriguing idea, though.

In case you didn't already realize, Simon automatically does an "offline" check before each check, unless the test is configured to work when offline. If Simon can't detect an internet connection, it puts the test in an "offline" state until one is detected.

what qualifies as being able

what qualifies as being able to detect an internet connection?

We monitor devices on some clients networks and I would want to have the dependency be that if THEIR router is down I don't get notify's on all the items beyond that router.

In this instance, our internet connection is working fine.

Here's hoping that perhaps adding it as a Pause clue works out.

Also, to expand on the expanding the Pause feature: WhistleBlower has a concept (as do many other netmon packages) of a "shift". We have some servers that we know will be "down" at 3AM because they are doing backups. We would tell the test in WB to not run the test during a shift defined during that period because we already know the service will be unavailable.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: what qualifies as being able

Offline detection relates to your internet connection. If your client's connection is down, that would be a failure, and rightly so in most cases.

As for "shift" periods, that's what the AutoPause settings are for. You can tell Simon not to check during the specified time interval.

(You can specify an AutoPause at the test, service, notifier, or report levels, or any combination.)