Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Test Item Window Runs Off Screen and 1 Feature Request

Is this an interface issue with the program or is there something that I'm stupidly not seeing here to make editing my various testing items easier.

I have an OS X Machine with 1440 x 900 Resolution and I've created various test items for Simon to check every 10~15 minutes. When I either make a "New Test" item or edit an existing one, the dialog box that appears runs off the bottom of the screen. Hitting the Escape key and enter key gets me around needing to open and close it, but it's still very difficult to add multiple notifiers to this test item.

Is there something I can do (without having a 2000 pixel long screen) to make it easier to see the full dialog box, like turn on scrolling or something, or is this simply an interface limitation in the program? If this is a limitation, than I'd like to express my voice to having this resolved in an upcoming release please. :)

On another note, I have found Simon very touchy compared to an older program that I used to use, and while this isn't a bad thing (in fact I like it), it would be great to be able to set somewhere for a particular test item to check a 2nd time before reporting a failure. I tried "After failure, check again in:" option, but the problem with that is I have a recovery go out with no failures every once in a great while. Cause the test item fails, then succeeds. Maybe this feature all ready exists and I'm just not seeing it though.

If anyone has any options for me to try to get either of these problems resolved that would completely rock! Thank you kindly.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Test Item Window Runs Off Screen and 1 Feature Request

Regarding the height of the Edit Test window, yes, it has grown rather large over the years, as new features were added. A workaround for people with smaller screens is to close some of the disclosure triangles, and just open them as needed. Most of the time, you only need to access one or two of them anyway.

I do plan to redesign this window (and the others) in a future version. (In fact I already have some mockup sketches.) So rest assured that I'm aware of it, and have a solution in the works... and in the meantime you have a feasible workaround.

As for getting too-eager failure notifications, you can tone that down a bit by using the Options section of the Edit Notifier window: change it to notify after 2 (or more) consecutive failures, and similarly check the option to only notify of a recovery if a failure was notified, to avoid getting a recovery notification without a prior failure notification.

oranges2apples's picture

Re: Test Item Window Runs Off Screen and 1 Feature Request

Thanks a ton, that helps.

... The triangles to make the window shorter .... I'm an idiot ... didn't even realize they were there, that works perfect. :)

The failure sensitivity ... hmm, you know I tried this once, and it it would fail once (not send any message like I had hoped) and then recover the next time and send a recovery message ... which didn't work for me. However, the checkbox, stating only send recovery message after failure message was sent you'd think should work ...

Let me try this again and see if it works as you described. Thanks!