Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Make tests dependent on other tasks?

I have a number of tasks that are reporting "down", even though the real reason that they're down is that my network connection gets flaky sometimes.

I have a network connection test that connects to the world time site. Is there a way that I can make all other tests to remote websites/mail servers dependent on that connection test?

In other words, if the network is down, don't bother running (and/or reporting) on the other external test until the network comes back?

TIA, Steve

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Make tests dependent on other tasks?

Simon automatically checks for an internet connection before performing each check (unless the option to run when offline is chosen in Edit Test). It does this by seeing if at least one of two popular site domains can be resolved — it doesn't actually load them, just sees if they can be reached. That should be sufficient to check for an internet connection.

But yes, in the future I want to implement a "groups" feature that allows specifying dependencies between tests.

+1 for this feature. having

+1 for this feature. having conditional notifications would be great (i.e., if you are monitoring afp and ping on a particular server, if ping fails, simon should be "smart" and not notify about the afp failure because simon "knows" that ping has to succeed if afp is going to succeed).