Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

pause - not

We have an MIS app that goes down for processing from 11:30PM to 6 AM. I created a test that pauses - since I can't make a single pause from 11:30 PM to 6am the following day, I created a pause form 23:30 to 00:00 and from 00:00 to 7:00 every day. This worked for a while, but now I get an error because Simon is checking during the pause period. I tried re-creating the test, same thing. Any hints would be appreciated - I'd like to email our IT folks instead of just me, but don't want to inundate them with false positives every day.

Suggestion - if the pause feature had a start time, and length of time then the computer could do the math, and we could span midnite with a single pause.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: pause - not

I would expect those time ranges to work. In fact, I'd expect just a single range of 23:30 to 07:00 to work, too.

The way the auto-pause dates are calculated is it firstly finds the next "from" date from the ranges, then takes that date/time and sets the time part to the "to" time. If the resulting date/time is before the "from" date/time, it bumps it up to the next day.

So using 23:30 to 07:00 every day, and today being 2008-09-04, would set the next auto-pause date/time to 2008-09-04 @ 23:30, and the next auto-resume date/time to 2008-09-04 @ 07:00. Since that is before the auto-pause date/time, it'd bump that up to 2008-09-05 @ 07:00, which is what you want.

I suppose having two auto-pause ranges as you do now could conceivably fail with the second range, as the second range would have already passed when the first one is resumed. Though I'd expect it to cope with that, too.

Anyway, try using just one range; I believe that should do what you want.

I do want to redesign the auto-pausing in the future. For Time Out 2, I'm thinking of using positive ranges instead of negative, i.e. saying which time range it should perform the actions, rather than when it shouldn't. I'm thinking of adopting that for Simon, too.