Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

"Error occurred: too many HTTP redirects" fixed in our case by removing cookies from tests

I just figured out an issue with Dejal Simon 2.4.2 monitoring uPortal 2.5.3 and thought I'd share, because it might apply to others as well.

The Simon tests we were using had recorded previous cookies (__utma, __utmb, __utmz, NSC_9803..., WT_FPC) which may have had to do with our Webauth here (or maybe is uPortal, don't know). After a reboot of the computer (MacPro1,1 Dual-core Xeon, Panther) after the latest OS X update, whenever it tried to access the uPortal sites, it got into an infinite redirect loop (it was getting "Error occurred: too many HTTP redirects").

When I removed the cookies from the tests that had that error, the tests started working again.

I know that removing cookies won't always help the "Error occurred: too many HTTP redirects" situation (sometimes it might be a valid error!), but just thought I'd offer this as a possible fix if anyone else runs into this.

I had gotten sidetracked a bit in the process because I also learned that Simon sends out the user-agent header "Simon2043 CFNetwork/422.11 Darwin/9.6.0 (i386) (MacPro1%2C1)", and when I used the Modify Headers plugin in Firefox 3.0.5 to send that user-agent, uPortal returned a page saying it didn't recognize the user-agent and asking the client to choose WML or HTML. But, I guess that Simon has been getting that page all along which is ok because we just need a quick test to make sure the webapp is up.

Hope this helps someone else,
Gary

David Sinclair's picture

Re: "Error occurred: too many HTTP redirects" fixed in our case

Thanks for sharing the tip!

Had this issue again on another test. Deleting cookies helped

We just had this issue again for another monitoring test (for a different server) running in Dejal Simon 2.4.2 (2043). Again we got:
"Error occurred: too many HTTP redirects"

And removing all cookies from the test fixed it. I shouldn't have said before that it was related to webauth/authN. (Neither of these tests which are pointed at completely different applications on different servers had anything to do with authN.) Both use tomcat though.

Is there something that is being done differently related to cookies in version 2.4.2 of Simon that wasn't being done before in a (recent) previous version? Or possibly something related to the check for N number of redirects that seems to be part of the test?

Thanks in advance...