Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Feature Requests (I know its large)

I have been using SIMON for a few days now and like it very much. There is one thing I would like see added to the application.

Currently I can find no way to monitor SIMON itself. Obviously any failure of SIMON, the box its on or the network, that goes uncorrected means I am vulnerable tot he exact thing that I purchased SIMON for in the first place.

In a perfect world I would like two instances of SIMON. That call back and forth to each other and keep the list of servers in sync (It could simply be that the SIMON MASTER would be the set of tests and they would be sent to the SIMON SLAVES).

If the master thought it had a failure, it would ask the slave "Do you have a failure?" If the slave says "nope, its good" SIMON MASTER would assume all is OK and I would not get a false alarm.

SIMON SLAVE would monitor SIMON SERVER. IF SIMPON SERVER was not there it would assume that it is dead and would make itself primary and let me know one of my SIMONS was down.

It would be really cool If I could merge log files; " Hey look Mr Customer You site is up 100% of the time from my SIMON servers in Las Vegas, Austin and Tokyo: It must by your network access"

Yea Yea I know is asking a lot. But it would put SIMON in a league of its own.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Feature Requests (I know its large)

Firstly, one way to monitor Simon is to have it notify you periodically, just to say it is running. You can do that in Simon 2.5 (currently in beta) via the Pulse service. Or, really, checking a website that changes regularly.

Secondly, you could have two (or more) instances of Simon running on different machines, each publishing reports at whatever frequency you want, and have a script service to fetch that report and report a failure if the generation date doesn't change.

However, in a future version I plan to make all this easier, very much like your ideal solution. Simon will support communication between multiple instances of Simon, running on different machines, remote control of tests etc, and remote access to the logs.

Having the various Simon instances consult each other to determine if a server is really failing is a good idea, though; I'll make a note of that suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback!

"Firstly, one way to monitor

"Firstly, one way to monitor Simon is to have it notify you periodically, just to say it is running. You can do that in Simon 2.5 (currently in beta) via the Pulse service. Or, really, checking a website that changes regularly."

I agree, but its sort of like "Hey I haven't heard the There is no fire alarm warning in the while."

I have monitored large groups of mac servers since we had to tear iMacs apart and put hem in marathon rack mount cases. SIMON is good stuff. Anything we can do to test/ help / suggest....you can get my information from my product registration. Call or ichat.