Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Running Simon as deamon

I started Simon as a deamon so I do not have a user logged in all the time.
The process is there but it does not look like it is doing something.

Does anybody has some experience using Simon as a deamon?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Running Simon as deamon

Simon is not designed to work that way. It stores its data in a user account's Application Support folder, and assumes that it is running in user space. I'm not surprised that it doesn't work as a daemon.

I occasionally get requests to be able to run Simon without logging in, but I don't have any plans to support that at this stage. However, you can easily create a dedicated user to run it, if you want to be able to log out of your main account, and it'll happily run in the background via that user account.

In the future I plan to split up the functionality into multiple processes, so you'll be able to have Simon scheduling checks etc without the main UI app running. In the meantime, you can simulate that by having Simon hide its window automatically when it is not active.

Any progress on daemon version?

Have you reconsidered the possibility of having Simon (at least the part that does the checking/notifying) run as a daemon? I'm evaluating it, and the biggest obstacle so far is that I would much prefer to be able to run it without having a user logged in.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Any progress on daemon version?

That is still not in my plans. As mentioned, it'd require major changes to the design to support that.

With Fast User Switching, it isn't too unreasonable to have an account dedicated to Simon, if you prefer to not run it in your main account. Then you can log out of your main account without disrupting Simon.

I may change my mind on this, based on feedback, but that's my current decision.

I would like to see this

I would like to see this feature.

I haven't put Simon into production yet, but plan to in the next month or so once a big project finishes. At the site where I'll install Simon (replacing a very old Whistleblower installation) the IT folks are instituting policies on all Mac Installations that prohibit Mac auto-login accounts and Fast User Switching. They install a piece of software that enforces this. I can probably get an exception given the application and our monitoring requirement, but doing so will require a lot of work (government facility).

The current WB machine sits in a closet, so the GUI stuff isn't that important to me.

Thanks

David Sinclair's picture

Re: I would like to see this

Thanks for the vote. I will continue to weigh the options. Future plans to split the UI off from the scheduler, and implement remote control, will certainly help in your situation. Adding a daemon option may be more feasible then.