Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Server Monitoring Help?

I am new to Simon monitoring. I would like suggestions, ideas, etc., for monitoring servers. Particularly for monitoring FirstClass and/or FileMaker Servers.

Thanks

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Server Monitoring Help?

Many servers have a web interface. For those, using a Web (HTTP) test is best. It can record cookies, pass arguments, and handle authentication requests, so is perfect for lots of servers.

For others that use a telnet-like connection, you can create a Port-based service, where Simon connects to a domain or IP address on a specified port, and conducts a conversation, sending text in response to received text. You can record a session very easily, then tweak it to insert username and password variables as needed.

Another option is to create a Script-based service, using unix tools and whatever scripting language you're familiar with (AppleScript, ruby, perl, PHP, etc).

Pretty much anything can be done with one of those options. For some cases where a more complex interaction or flexible UI is beneficial, we can write custom plug-ins for release in the next version... but of course that takes a lot longer. Suggestions are always welcome, though.

Hope this helps.

monitoring filemaker

One way to monitor FileMaker is to make URL calls to the WPE (Web Publishing Engine), assuming you have the WPE enabled.

Create a 'Web (HTTP)' test and place this in the URL:

http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@SERVER/fmi/xml/FMPXMLRESULT.xml?-dbnames

Replace username and password with those from a FileMaker account, and replace SERVER with the IP address or domain name of your server. Click on the 'Preview…' button and you should see the name(s) of the databases that account has access to.

Place the database name in the 'Start text' and uncheck 'Look for changes', I recommend a separate test for each separate database.

More help?

This isn't working for me. I make a link as suggested, and it works in both Safari and Firefox. However, the page never loads in Simon. How do I make it work?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: More help?

A little more information would help me help you.

What is the URL of the page you're trying to check? What happens if you Preview it in Simon? What error do you get?

I'd rather not post the link

I'd rather not post the link publicly (I'll give it you privately), but I copied the link from the post above, made the corrections for my server, pasted it into Firefox and it loaded the page. I then pasted that link into Simon, asked for a preview, and the page never loads.

any more ideas on how to make it work?

or, how do I send you the link privately?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: any more ideas on how to make it work?

Use the contact form or email (an email link on that page too).