Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

HTTP Status Codes

I've been using Simon for a while. It's a handy app. But I've come to need the ability to be able to detect specific HTTP status codes. For example, I'd like to be able to count a server error 500 as as a failure.

I've looked, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do this. Am I just missing it?

Thanks for your help.

-John

David Sinclair's picture

Re: HTTP Status Codes

If you use the Smart Change Detection feature with header mode (instead of source), you should be able to look at the status code in the header.

In a future version, possibly 2.6, I want to extend this to a more general-purpose filter feature, which could have more intuitive access to the status codes.

Yeah, I thought about using

Yeah, I thought about using that, but if I use it to check for a 500, it'll track as a "change" rather than a "failure", right?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Yeah, I thought about

Actually if you told it to check for 500 in the headers, you'd probably get a failure for everything except a 500.

More sophisticated logic has to be done in a service or notifier currently... which is why I want to add the filter feature, as an analysis layer between a service and the notifiers, so you can use a standard service like Web but reinterpret the output.