Caboodle icon Caboodle
Lean, clean snippet machine

PDF | Rich Text side by side

I've been a Caboodle owner for less than an hour and I think I'm in love ... but I'm trying not to get swept off my feet just yet. :-)

I've been looking for a way to manage a large number of PDFs. There are lots of utilities to do that and I've probably tried most. Caboodle's embedding of PDFs in the flow of rich text is wonderful because it lets me annotate without changing the PDF itself. I also found that if I drag several page thumbnails from the Preview sidebar into Caboodle, I can place the annotations in between the images. This is almost exactly what I want.

My ideal would be to have each page of the PDF scrolling as in Preview, with a rich text space NEXT to it to annotate side by side with each page. (And then, of course, I will want to be able to output this way :-) .

Caboodle is wonderful because it is dead simple. Very short learning curve. I never would have guessed an app that tracks recipes would help me keep track of research documents.

So right now that's my one suggestion, and from what I've seen the developer likes suggestions, so maybe he'll like mine.

Now off to see how much Caboodle likes importing 1000+ PDFs.

Thanks for a great product, and a great value.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: PDF | Rich Text side by side

Thanks for the suggestion... yes, I like them very much, and keep track of the suggestions for consideration in future releases.

I do plan on improving the PDF integration in a future version, treating PDFs as "first-class citizens" rather than simple attachments. Not sure how I'll handle them in a rich text stream, though... I might have to leave the current design for that.

Anyway, regarding importing those 1000+ PDFs, I would recommend that you keep them in a folder on your disk, and alias them into Caboodle by holding down the Ctrl key while dragging into the entry. That way the PDFs won't bloat the Caboodle data file.

In the future I plan to improve the data storage to eliminate the need to do that... but for now all Caboodle data is stored in a single XML file, so storing lots of big attachments can make it very large, which can slow down loading and saving times. Using aliases instead will avoid that issue.