Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

change recovery notifier back to grey

Hello all!
I'm sure a stupid question, but I didn't find this in the docs...

We had a test fail about 2 days ago. After recovery, the notifier changed from red to orange.
Two days later, It is still orange. Is there a setting to change it back to grey, or change the time it takes to change on it's own? I thought there might be a place to acknowledge the failure, and then the notifier would revert back to the "good" or grey status.

Thanks!

David Sinclair's picture

Re: change recovery notifier back to grey

Once recovered, it will slowly fade from orange back to grey. It takes a while. This is helpful to indicate that the test failed recently. If the test changes, it will turn bright green, then fade over time too.

If you prefer simpler colors, you can change the General Preferences accordingly. Then it'll just show success (green upward triangle) or failure (red downward triangle).

Thanks David-

That will help.

I guess best case scenario would be to keep the recovery color "yellow" until I manually clear the message, then have it turn to green. This would allow knowing what length of time had passed before the error was acknowledged.

I can see where this could be a programming "nightmare", but just a thought for a future release :)

Thanks for the help!

David Sinclair's picture

That's an interesting option. I originally only had the multi-color status icons, but several people asked for simpler success/failure colors, so I added the aforementioned preference. I guess you're in a middle ground.

When a change occurs, a yellow "unviewed" marker dot appears. But there isn't a marker for failures, so there isn't a way to acknowledge that you've seen it currently.

So perhaps what you really want is the simple status icons as now, plus an unviewed marker for failures (perhaps a red or orange dot), which you clear when viewed, as for the change markers. That definitely sounds like a good idea.

Similarly, the Dock icon and system menu shows a yellow sunburst when there are marked changes, so it could show a red or orange one (or some other shape) when there is a failure.

Which raises another question... should it show the marker when there is a failure, or when it recovers, or both? Failures tend to stick out, so perhaps don't need a marker, but a recovery isn't as obvious if you use the simple status icons, so a marker could be useful there.

Thoughts?

My $0.02

When I first started using Simon, I had it configured to use the time-sensitive status icons. I observed that when I had a failure and a recovery, the menu bar icon had changed to amber and it displayed a count of the number of failures. This was fine, except that I discovered the only way to clear the status was to use the Reset Stats function in the File menu, which is definitely not convenient and also forced me to reset my stats, which I didn't really want to do. On the other hand, I didn't want to leave the amber indicator in my menu bar because then I had no way of knowing whether a new failure had occurred, or whether it was from the old failure. What I wanted was to be able to click on the indicator and be offered a "Reset Status" option, or be able to reset the status by double-clicking on the indicator. Unfortunately, neither of these options was available, so I decided to change the setting to use the simple status icons. This is an improvement, because now if I see a green icon, I know that everything is fine at this moment, which is my primary concern. However, there is still no way to reset the counter in the icon, which is annoying.

Ideally, I'd like to use the time-sensitive icon colors, but have the option to manually reset the status and the counter, rather than having the colors shift over some arbitrary time frame. I would think that the "Mark All Viewed" option would do this, but it seems to have no effect on either the icon color or the counter.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: My $0.02

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

I'm not entirely sure how I could integrate your ideal into the options. Resetting the counter number and/or icon color doesn't really fit with the design; that implies a change in status, not just that you've seen it.

Though I can see where you're coming from — typical Dock icon badge numbers represent the number of new items, rather than the number of items in a certain state.

I suppose I could add a preference to make the counter instead represent the number of unviewed markers, and hide the counter when zero.

As for resetting the color, that's trickier. Perhaps the above option, combined with the current unviewed change marker and the proposed unviewed failure/recovery marker, would be sufficient to accommodate your wishes?

Any thoughts from other people? I hesitate to add too many new preferences, as that just complicates the UI, but I do try to accommodate popular requests.