Caboodle icon Caboodle
Lean, clean snippet machine

Caboodle on two machines

Hi, I am new to Caboodle. So far, so good. If I keep the Caboodle data files on mobile-me or drop box, can I open or change them randomly from two different computers? I want to be a be able to collect info at home and use it at the office if I need it.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Caboodle on two machines

Interesting question. I haven't heard of anyone storing the data on an iDisk or other shared volume. In theory, so long as (a) the volume is always mounted when you launch Caboodle (so it can find the data), and (b) you don't run Caboodle on both machines at the same time, it should work.

It'd be important to quit on one machine before launching on another, though, otherwise anything added on one would get lost when the other saves.

So I couldn't recommend this approach, but would be very interested in your experiences with it.

In the future I want to add a proper sync feature, so you can safely run Caboodle on multiple Macs (and iPhones!) and share data. Hopefully by the end of the year, though no promises.

Multiple Machines

Syncing would be really terrific. I am finding the program to be shockingly useful and would like the benefit of having it available on my iphone, and at my office. I will let you know how it goes.

I had been running Caboodle

I had been running Caboodle on two machines successfully for quite a while. My solution was to save the database to a SVN repository and check it in/out on each machine.

I say HAD because it worked fine for months and then some 4 to 6 weeks ago it broke.

The original MacBook which created the db can still open, read and save just fine but my iMac, whilst still pointed at the correct file, just shows a completely blank database.

If anyone has any clue how to fix this I'd be deeply indebted to you! I store all my knowledge base in Caboodle and with no access to it on the iMac it can make working at home a painful experience!

David Sinclair's picture

Re: I had been running Caboodle

An interesting solution. Since the Caboodle data is currently stored in a single XML file, there's certainly no reason why it couldn't be managed via SVN, and perhaps even merge changes.

Perhaps you could simply delete then check out the file again on the iMac?

Anything new about Dropbox?

Hello,

Have you had any feedback on using Caboodle with Dropbox?

I'm considering buying Caboodle, but will only do if I can synchronize the data file through Dropbox, between two Macs of quite different generations.

With thanks for your help,

Althea
iMac 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (2006), 3 Go RAM, with Mac OS 10.6.2;
PowerBook G4 (2002) with Mac OS 10.4.11

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Anything new about Dropbox?

The previous comments in this thread would also apply to Dropbox. It should work fine, so long as you're careful to quit Caboodle on one machine before launching it on the other, so they each read changes from the other, and don't overwrite new changes.

Caboodle reads the data on launch, and writes after each change, hence the need for the above.

Still a non-recommended approach, but should be fine for power users.

Thanks for your prompt

Thanks for your prompt answer!

Althea

iMac 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (2006), 3 Go RAM, with Mac OS 10.6.2;
PowerBook G4 (2002) with Mac OS 10.4.11