Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Webmail

Is it possible to check webmails using Simon?

When i click login in webmail, first i see webpage which redirects to webmail after few seconds and i think that confuses Simon when i try to use Smart Change Detection. Simon should wait until that webpage redirects to real webmail and then use SCD.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Webmail

The redirect could well confuse Simon. If possible, get it to monitor the final page, not the login page. It can save cookies or use authentication (via the Username and Password fields in the Security section) to provide the page with the info it needs.

How to setup?

I try to setup test, which checks are there any new email in free Fastmail.fm account. How i can setup that? No matter what i try, it always fails.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: How to setup?

I'm not familiar with that service, but when you view your messages, you should have a certain web page. So you'd set it up by entering the Fastmail URL in the Edit Test window, then click Preview within that window to load it. Enter your username and password when requested, and log in; the cookies will be recorded in the open test window. That should enable Simon to log in for you when checking.

Error

I always get red triangle.

Could you please setup free FastMail.fm webmail and try it?

Thanks

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Error

Okay, I've signed up, and added a test to Simon.

I logged in via the Preview page in Simon, choosing the option to save the password on FastMails's login page. For the test URL, I pasted in the URL from the Preview page when logged in. I notice that some cookies have been recorded in the test.

When I check the test, it behaves as expected, showing a successful change each time it checks (since the page displays the current time — Smart Change Detection could be used to look at just the relevant part of the page).

Even if I log out via my web browser or in Simon's Preview, and check again, it auto-logs in and works as expected.

I'll leave it checking; perhaps the site will log me out in due course. But it seems to be behaving properly for now.

Cookies

Thanks.

It still do not work.

I tried this way:

In Service Web (HTTP): http://fastmail.fm/
Method: Get
Click Preview
Then copied url from preview window to test window.
Cookie fields are empty!
Look for changes i tried:
and <
ActTd" align="right" nowrap> and
Click OK
Test it and it i get red triangle "start change text was not found in the file".

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Cookies

Try it without the Smart Change Detection text, to see if that works. Perhaps just not looking for the right text?

Try also doing a Preview of the test, and see if it shows the correct (logged in) page. It does for me.

Try copying the URL of that page (after logging in if necessary) back to the test.