Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

requests: basic DOM inspector, pause all, default pause duration and groups

Please add a basic DOM inspector that reveals the html code of the selected part of the webpage. This would be very handy for inserting the start/end html text in the „check website for changes“ form of a test. To see what I mean please download the now free web browser OmniWeb from OmniGroup, load a webpage, select a word in the page, control click it and choose „Inspect“. This is extremely useful for finding the html code of parts of the website that are on other html files.

Also nice would be if you could add 2 new buttons „Pause all“, „Resume all“ in the toolbar to explicitly pause all tests and to resume all tests at once if no test is currently selected. Just like the check now button behavior. Currently if no test is selected you have only the choice to resume all tests, not to pause the ones that are currently active. Yes, I could select the ones that are running and pause them, but a „pause all“ button would be quicker.

Could you please add an option in the preferences to set the default pause duration in order to skip the „how long to pause“ dialog that is shown every time a test paused? I would like to set it to infinite by default to easily start/stop tests with 1 button click

How about grouping tests in folders and to start/stop them by groups(= folders)?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: requests: basic DOM inspector, pause all, default pause...

I use OmniWeb as my primary web browser; I agree that it is nicely featured. The DOM inspector is actually part of WebKit, so Safari has it too... but yes, it is very handy. Adding support for the DOM inspector is a good idea.

Note that the easy way to enter the Smart Change Detection text blocks is to click in the HTML source pane of the Preview window and do a Find for the desired text. Then simply select it and click the Copy to Test toolbar button.

The Pause button becomes Resume when any selected tests are paused (or any if there is no selection). I'm not sure that having multiple pause buttons would be a good UI choice, though. I suppose an alternative might be to separate out the pause/resume functions into separate buttons, i.e. have a Pause button and a Resume button, so all tests (or selected tests) can be paused or resumed irrespective of whether or not there are some paused already. That could have merit... I'll think about that for a future release. I'd be interested in others' views on this, too.

As for the default pause duration, it remembers it until you quit... so the ideal solution would be to make that persist over quits, too. Definitely a good idea, and actually something that I've been thinking about for a while, but hasn't been a priority. I'll bump it up the ideas list, though.

Regarding groups, that is definitely coming in a future version.

Thanks for the feedback!