Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

google searches?

I would like to set up some google searches to see new results if any, but cannot figure out how to set up those searches. any help appreciated.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: google searches?

That's very easy. Simply add a Web (HTTP)-based test for "http://www.google.com/", and a parameter of "q" and value of the search query.

Then you might want to use the Smart Change Detection feature to filter the output, though it might be different every time, given the dynamic nature of search.

Thanks, but

actually, I do not get it to work. the preview does show the google page with the correct string in the search field, however, the result is "page does not exist".
when pressing "search" with the string from Simon still within the search field, I get the expected results. any idea what might be wrong?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Thanks, but

Perhaps a screenshot of your Edit Test window would help pinpoint the issue.

very good idea, please post

very good idea, please post a screen shot how it looks like when it works, so I can reproduce it.

Thank you!

David Sinclair's picture

Working solution

Okay, here's a screenshot of a setup that works reliably, searching for "dejal". The problem with Google is that it uses a lot of dynamic data — URLs and other values that change each time you reload the page, even if it's showing the same result. So, to avoid that, I had to use the Smart Change Detection feature to restrict it to only looking at the top search result. You could also configure it to look at the total number of matches, or other values, if desired.

With version 2.6, coming in a month or so, you'll be able to further refine the filtering, perhaps stripping out the dynamic data via a regular expression. Or maybe I'll create a filter plugin to find all occurrences of Start-End blocks and output just those; that'd be perfect in this situation, to find all of the results without the dynamic portions.

Simon checking Google

GREAT!

now it works, did not have complete URL.

Thanks very much for the help!