Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

twitter not working

hello,

I want to see the twitter updates of those who I follow.

I figured these are called "friend" in Simon, however, this does not work at all.

I get "user not found" and the page shown as browser notification is my own updates.

I just purchased the standard version and I am quite disappointed how all this in reallity does not work as advertised. Had issues with regular pages as well where the "smart" thing just does not work at all.

any help?
(no, I did not yet update to 10.6)

I created a notification

I created a notification whith get and a link to the homepage, the error about user not found is still present but now at least the correct page is shown. not sure, however, if changes get detected correctly.

What is worse: when editing a test, the changes made to the test are not reflected before quitting and restarting Simon, a real pain in the as* when setting up tests.

This app is pricey for being in beta-shape relly.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: twitter not working

I'm sorry that you're finding it frustrating. Simon is a well-established and reliable product, but I'm always keen to hear how it can be improved to make it more intuitive, or to fix any issues that people encounter.

If you want to see people who follow you, then yes, the "My friends" option is what you want. You need to make sure you enter your Twitter username and password in the Security section, as instructed, so Simon knows who you are on Twitter's server.

I just confirmed this, and it does work fine.

As for Smart Change Detection, it does work, though you need to specify the correct text for the Start and End values. You can use the Preview window to find the text.

Re saving test changes, they are reflected immediately when you click OK in the window, when you do your next check. If you're finding something different, please explain the exact steps you're performing.

I'm happy to help with any questions you may have. Simon is a powerful and flexible product, so does have a little bit of a learning curve, though I try to make it as intuitive as possible.

well, what can I say, for me

well, what can I say, for me neither of these 3 items works as you decribe here. I did exactly what you are telling here before even posting. good it works for everyone else, but does it?

what OS version are you running Simon on? just curious...

David Sinclair's picture

Re: well, what can I say, for me

I'm currently running Simon on Tiger and Snow Leopard. Was also fine on Leopard.

Again, screenshots of your setup might help. Feel free to send via email if you prefer.