Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

how to copy services and tests to 2nd installation

We've implemented some new Services and Tests on one machine, and would like to copy those to another machine without having to manually create/edit the Services and Tests on the second machine. Is there an import/export process, or what do you recommend?

Bob

David Sinclair's picture

Re: how to copy services and tests to 2nd installation

Unfortunately there isn't any easy way to share data between two machines at this stage. In a future version (not 2.6) I want to add full multi-machine sharing features, where you can copy tests etc from one machine to another, among other features. I also want to refactor the data format to make it easier to share data manually.

In the meantime, there are two options: enter the services and tests manually (perhaps using screenshots of the windows as references), or manually edit the data files.

This second option is not recommended, and would only be feasible if you're comfortable editing XML data. The Simon data is currently stored in XML files, so it is possible to edit it with a property list editor (such as comes with Apple's developer tools or the third-party PlistEdit Pro), or with TextEdit if you're really careful. Make sure you make a copy of the files first, just in case!

xml OK, but what is .nib?

I'm happy to edit xml files -- I found /Applications/Simon.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Services.simon, for example, and it looks relatively straight forward to splice in services copied from another machine. However, I didn't know what the binary Services.nib file is all about.

Bob

David Sinclair's picture

Re: xml OK, but what is .nib?

That isn't the correct location. The data files within the application bundle are the default data, which are used for first-time users. Editing that won't help you. The .nib is a window layout resource. You definitely shouldn't edit anything within the app bundle.

What you want are the data files within the Simon data folder, which is in the following path:

"~/Library/Application Support/Dejal/Simon/"

There will be two files for each data type; the one with a "~" is a backup, so edit the other one. But again, make a copy before you do.

Hm. The ~/Library/Application Support/Dejal/Simon/ folder is indeed where files are on the original machine (the one I want to copy from), but on the fresh install the only files in that folder are Notifiers.simon and Tests.simon (and their backup files).

Ah, it must be that there is no Services.simon because I haven't edited any Services yet. I will try that tomorrow.

Bob

David Sinclair's picture

Indeed, that is why.

In which case, all you need to do is copy your Services.simon file from the original machine to the fresh install machine; no editing required (for that file).

Copying Application Support files

We just bought Simon to replace a no longer supported monitoring product. It had a task (tests) export/import capability that would allow you to easily move most settings to another machine.

I'm most likely going to have to experiment with Simon and develop comparable tests on my own time outside the office. Once I'm done I'd hope to easily move everything to the production machine in our office.

From reading the above will it be possible to achieve this by simply copying the ~/Library/Application Support/Dejal/Simon/ to that machine?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Copying Application Support files

That is correct; that's all you need to do.

You could also copy the preferences file, though there's no need; probably better to just reconfigure any relevant prefs on the second machine.