Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

{TestFailureCount} variable causes Email notifier to fail

When I put the {TestFailureCount} variable into the body of an Email-based Notifier, Simon doesn't deliver the email. It claims that it sent it in the Notifications log, but no email is even attempted (I monitored my SMTP server and there's not even a connection attempt made).

As soon as I remove the {TestFailureCount} variable, the otherwise identical Notifier works again just fine.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: {TestFailureCount} variable causes Email notifier to fail

Interesting... good sleuthing!

I think I might have an idea why that could be, but to confirm, does any message appear in the Console log when that variable is included and you use the notifier?

JohnDCCIU's picture

Sure does! I should have

Sure does! I should have looked there and included this with the original report.

Below is what is logged in console.log when an Email-based Notifier with {TestFailureCount} is triggered.

I noticed also that the "Notify Now" button in the Notifiers window sends a successful test, but it doesn't do the same "sample" substitution for the {TestFailureCount} as it does for other variables; it leaves the variable in place and unmodified.

2009-10-27 00:43:29.512 Simon[144] *** -[NSCFNumber length]: selector not recognized [self = 0x220e810]
2009-10-27 00:43:29.514 Simon[144] NSInvalidArgumentException: *** -[NSCFNumber length]: selector not recognized [self = 0x220e810]
sh: line 1: /usr/bin/atos: No such file or directory
2009-10-27 00:43:29.873 Simon[144] notifyForSite: SuperContainer withPlugin: (null) exception: NSInvalidArgumentException (*** -[NSCFNumber length]: selector not recognized [self = 0x220e810])

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Sure does!

Thanks. Yep, that's what I thought.

I've just fixed that bug, plus the bug of the Notify Now not substituting the variable. These fixes will be in 2.6, due out in a couple of months.

(If you really need this variable before then, let me know, and I could arrange a special build.)

JohnDCCIU's picture

Thanks for the quick

Thanks for the quick confirmation and upcoming fix! I don't need it right away, so I'm happy to wait for v2.6.