Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Feature request: test folders or groups

We have an enterprise license of Simon and it's been really great but I'm running into some growing pains with adding devices to check. I was wondering if there was any thought to creating test groups and/or a folder system in the main testing window.

The first idea I had would just be a simple folder structure in the main window. You could create folders for a type of device and put the individual tests in there. For example, a folder for Xserves, a folder for NAS servers, folder for HTTP tests, etc. We have about 22 tests currently running and it's getting a little hard to easily scan through and see everything. Possibly have a single notification icon for the folder when it's closed that's green if everything is up and red if one or more are down.

A second idea is testing groups that would work where you can setup one test and feed it multiple IPs. I see this working for something like IP cameras. We have about 48 scattered around and it would be nice to setup one test that might check them periodically. Maybe even test them in sequence. If we had a group that tested one camera every thirty minutes, it would test each camera once a day. Maybe for high priority devices like Xserves, you could check a server each minute.

So that's just my thoughts after a few weeks of using Simon. Just wondering if there was anything like this in the works or if it'd even be possible.

Thanks,
JB

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Feature request: test folders or groups

Hi,

Groups is a popular request, and something that is definitely coming in a future version (after 2.6). My current plan is to implement it much like iTunes' playlists, where you can have manual and smart groups in a source list sidebar, and add tests to any number of groups.

The groups would likely have collection behaviors, e.g. only notifying of a failure once for all tests in the group, not checking other tests if one fails, etc (configurable). Though that could be tricky if a test is in multiple groups.

I certainly welcome feedback about the best way to implement this.