Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Where does Simon store specific test preferences?

Hi!

I've been looking around in the com.dejal.simon2.plist file and in the file named "Tests.simon" in my application support folder for Simon, however I can't seem to find the individual prefs for each test. Where does Simon store these? The only ones I seem to find are prefs for the whole program...

Thanks for your help and happy thanksgiving! :)

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Where does Simon store specific test preferences?

Hi,

The test settings are in the Tests.simon file. It's a standard XML property list file, so can be edited with a text editor, Apple's Property List Editor, or a third-party tool like PlistEdit Pro (which is what I prefer). Though of course you should only edit it when Simon isn't running, after making a copy, and if you know what you're doing.

Thanks for the

Thanks for the help!

However, I can't seem to find the actual string/data for the "checking options" - what are these called in the file?

David Sinclair's picture

The format is undocumented,

The format is undocumented, unsupported, and subject to change.

Having said that, what values are you looking for? The checking frequency for successful checks is stored in a sub-dictionary with the key FreqSuccessInterval, and similarly for failures:

<key>FreqSuccessInterval</key>
<dict>
<key>Amount</key>
<integer>15</integer>
<key>Mode</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Units</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

Well, basically I am looking for a way to lower the check interval below the minimum 15 secs, mainly to avoid having 4-5 different tests running against the same service at the same time (which, in effect, gives me a lower interval between checks).
I am in a real need for this functionality, but I can't seem to find a way to it...

Any ideas?

David Sinclair's picture

There isn't any way to

There isn't any way to reduce the frequency below 15 seconds, and I strongly recommend not having it any more frequent than once per minute, to avoid overloading the computer or effectively doing a denial of service attack on a server.

Simon has an overlap protection range of 15 seconds; if a test is due within 15 seconds of the last check, it skips the check, to avoid accidentally checking twice.