Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Simon 5 is coming soon!

Simon version 5 is currently in beta testing. It is a massive update, introducing a much-requested feature: syncing the Simon data between multiple Macs, plus a Simon Status service, a Link Checker filter, improved Find filter, iMessage and Speak Error notifiers, a new app icon, and much more.

Important: please note that Simon 5 requires a minimum of macOS 10.12 (Sierra), and will be a paid upgrade from Simon 4 after the beta. Purchasers since September 1, 2020 automatically get a version 5 license (that also works in previous versions).

Read the blog for details.

4D Server Test

I'm replacing WhistleBlower with Simon and trying to replicate as many of our existing tests as possible. I need to determine if a 4D Server (database server) is running and responding. WhistleBlower had a built-in test for doing this.

I suspect that I can call a shell script that will do this but don't know the specifics for doing such a test. Our WB was running on an old OS 9 box and I wasn't able to debug the network communication to try and extract the details.

Has anyone here tackled this?

Telnet?

Someone on a 4D forum pointed out that I can test for a response via telnet from the command line. Are there any examples for creating scripts? I need to wrap the telnet session in a script and capture the response.

$ telnet
telnet> open 192.168.0.1 19813
Trying 192.168.0.1...
Connected to 4dserver.example.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
H OMSv5.4DC^] <== I had to type control-]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: 4D Server Test

[Sorry for the delay in replying; I'm on vacation in Washington, DC this week.]

The best way to do telnet-style tests is via a Port-based test. Simply create a new service, select Port as the type, and use Capture Session to record the received and sent text.

Re: 4D Server Test

David,

Thanks for the response. The recommended Port-based test will tell if "4D Server" is up. I'm using a "Port Available" test pointed to the server's IP address and the 4D Server port (in my case 19813).