Caboodle icon Caboodle
Lean, clean snippet machine

Problems visualizing entries

Hello,

I have problems visualizing entries in Caboodle.

One thing that happens nearly every time is that if I go from entry A to entry X, the window is not updated: I still see the contents of A although the selected entry is X.

This is a problem I can usually fix by clicking on a third entry (entry W), and again on entry X.

But I have a worse problem with my one encrypted entry: when I click on it...
• in the best of cases, I'm asked for the password and then nothing happens (I still see the padlock or I see nothing, an empty window);
• or I still see the contents of the previous entry, and no clicking around will change anything to that;
• or I just see nothing (empty window) and I am never asked for the password (that's rare).
I can't detect any reccurrent behavior… except that I'm never able to see the contents of the encrypted entry.

This happens ONLY on my iMac with system 10.6.2. On my PowerBook G4 with system 10.4.11, I do see the contents of the encrypted entry, so I'm sure I haven't accidentally deleted it!

Do you have any suggestion about what I can do about it (especially the encrypted entry—that's really annoying!)?

With thanks,

Althea

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Problems visualizing entries

Hi,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty on one machine. I don't know what could be causing that. When you click on an entry, it should always display it.

How are you sharing your data between two machines? I wonder if that could be a factor.

You could try deleting your Caboodle preferences, in case that is a factor. It's in the path "~/Library/Preferences/com.dejal.caboodle.plist".

All I can suggest is that you send me your data (via email) so I can try to recreate the problem -- though if it works on one machine, chances are it'll work for me too. But I do have 10.6.2, so if that's a factor, I may be able to recreate it.

Don't worry if you have any private information in Caboodle; I deal with medical records and such all the time, and am used to keeping things confidential. You can also encrypt any entries you want to keep private. Please do the following:

1. Quit Caboodle if it is running.
2. In the Finder, navigate to the path "~/Library/Application Support/Dejal/Caboodle", where "~" means your home folder. (Tip: you can choose the Go > Go to Folder command and paste in that path, without the quotes.)
3. Click on the "Caboodle Data.caboodledata" file to select it.
4. Choose the File > Create Archive of "Caboodle Data.caboodledata" menu command to compress it.
5. Send me an email and attach the compressed file.

Thank you for your answer.

How are you sharing your data between two machines? I wonder if that could be a factor.

It could be a factor, because I'm sharing the data through Dropbox. But I'm very careful and Caboodle is never opened on the two machines at the same time.

What I also think may be a factor is that my iMac is getting a bit old (2006). It's a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 3 Go RAM (that was the maximum available at the time), and I'm afraid 3 Go is not quite enough for Snow Leopard. For instance, I've had to practically give up on Adobe Acrobat Professional because it's become extremely slow, although I had no problem at all with system 10.5. So it may just be that Caboodle is slow updating the windows.

I'll mail the Caboodle data later in the day.

With thanks for your help,

Althea

Hello,

Before I mailed the data, I checked once more what was happening with the encrypted entry, and this time the contents have disappeared. On both computers.

It's not really a problem because it's information I have elsewhere, but I think I'll just give up on encrypted entries in Caboodle for the time being. Maybe it's not compatible with synchronization through Dropbox.

With thanks for your help,

Althea

David Sinclair's picture

I'm sorry it's not working for you.

Encrypted entriss shouldn't add any risk. But syncing via Dropbox is certainly risky, if you ever accidentally have Caboodle open on two machines at once, which is why it isn't a supported mechanism.

As previously mentioned, I do plan to add proper sharing support in a future version of Caboodle (later this year).