Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Up time 100%

I would like to know if it is possible to have the "Up Time" on my Summary Report page display 100% after a failure has recovered. I understand that the "Up Time %" is based upon the average of failures/successes. Also, I know I can manually reset stats of the indicated tests to display 100% up time on the reports page. I would like to know if this could be automated.

Specifically, is is possible to have reset stats occur for all or failed or selected tests everyday at midnight?

Please let me know. Thanks in advance!

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Up time 100%

No, there's no way to automate resetting the stats, other than perhaps with some third-party macro utility.

I'm not sure why you'd want to do that; can you clarify? The stats become meaningless if you reset them every day. If you don't want to see the uptime percentage, you could remove it from the report template (and hide the Monitor window column).

Thanks for the quick response! You are doing an excellent job in answering these questions.

To clarify, I have been using Whistle Blower and there is a feature to "roll uptime calculations at midnight" under preferences/statistics. I believe this option is where if a test fails the proper percentage is displayed (98% up time) while the next day after the "roll uptime calc/reset of stats" will display 100% on my report page.

In Simon, on my Summary Report page, I have tests listed at 90-99.9% which alarms have occurred over 2 weeks ago. Its an aesthetic feature I would like to know if possible to display 100% up time for tests instead of manually "reset stats" daily.

Further background, I use Simon to monitor a network of routers which either go up or down (green or red background). So, to see the 100% up time makes sense for what I have been used to.

Thanks again. Please let me know what type of ideas you may have.

David Sinclair's picture

Thanks for the background. What do others think? Would it be useful to have a preference to reset the stats each day (or some other interval)? I could add it to the feature ideas list if others feel it would be useful. Personally, a long-term uptime value seems more useful. As it continues to have successful checks, the uptime value will approach 100% again.

Possibly, have a separation for different type of tests such as a themed based test option for basic Up/Down or Success/Fail that can correlate with the simple status icons preference. Such that keeping the tests real basic might be a nice feature for users. Another idea is to implement a quick-start simon setup option for Basic, Moderate, or Very Detailed test options/theme.

Appreciate the input, thanks!

Do you know of a cron job that maybe able to execute such "reset stats" at the system level if it is no available at the application level?

On another note, from a network monitoring standpoint, by having the ability to have short-term (schedule time for reset stats) would be more useful since a tech can know that a device has not failed since midnight of a prior alarm. It can be deceiving to see a green background for success and a percent less than 100 for up time.

David Sinclair's picture

You may be able to use a macro utility like iKey to choose the reset stats menu command on a timed basis.

If you want to know how long it has been since the last failure, look at the Last Failure column in the Monitor window. The status icon also fades from orange after a recovery (if you have time-sensitive statuses enabled, which is the default).