Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

historical reports

Hi folks!
Simple question: Is there anyway to view the history of any monitor? Say I've been running a ping test over the past year. Can I see the past years data? A graph of response times?

Thanks for any help with this.
Kris

David Sinclair's picture

Re: historical reports

The logs at the bottom of the Monitor window can show the time that the test(s) took to check. Select a single test to see values for just that test, or select multiple or no tests to see combined logs.

By default, only the last 100 log entries are kept for each test, so you'll only be able to see back that far. You can change that in the Logs preferences, if you wish.

There isn't a way to examine a certain attribute of tests, e.g. average ping response times.

I have thought about adding a plugin architecture for custom logs, to support this kind of specialized graphing, but I don't have that feature idea scheduled.

understandable, but with such a powerful tool to "test" stuff, it would seem the natural compliment would be a more powerful tool to report. My argument for boosting up this side of Simon is: tests are only 1/2 as effective as the ability to report and analyze the data.

And I'd gladly pay 2x for the tool for this ability.

Just my two cents! Thanks for the response.
Kris

David Sinclair's picture

Certainly a compelling argument! :)

I agree, the analysis side could stand some improvement. The Filter feature in Simon 2.6 (currently in development) is a step in that direction; you'll be able to have more control in picking out interesting bits of test output to notify about. The aforementioned log plugin architecture would be another big step to improving the analysis features. It won't be in 2.6, but definitely something I want to add in a future version.

In the meantime, you could use the Smart Change Detection feature (in 2.5) to filter the output to just the average response time, then copy lines from the Changes log and graph them in a spreadsheet.

Thanks again for your feedback.