Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Simon puts itself in front of running apps

Hello
Ever since I started using the "Get my attention" notify, Simon puts itself in front every few mins (more like every minute) without anything having happened which is quite bad as the front window loses focus.

Simon doesn't have a machine to itself here and it should not do that. I tried to remove all the attention getting notifiers but nothing changed.
Thank you :)
eve

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Simon puts itself in front of running apps

You can pause the notifier itself to prevent it from being used by any test. Simply select it in the Notifiers window and click the Pause toolbar button.

If that fixes it, one of your tests must still be using that notifier and changing or failing frequently.

I tried that and it doesn't fix it.

When Simon is running, the front window loses focus every few minutes. When it isn't running this doesn't happen.

Because of something else, I had to look in the logs Today and I fell over these entries in the windowserver log:
Jul 08 00:04:40 [154] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowListTags: Operation on a window 0x7 not owned by caller SimonPortHelper
Jul 08 00:04:54 [154] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowListTags: Operation on a window 0x7 not owned by caller SimonPortHelper
Thank you
eve

David Sinclair's picture

That's very interesting. Simon uses a separate process called SimonPortHelper to run the Port service. But it is a background-only process; it doesn't have any windows.

I wonder if your copy of Simon is damaged? Try re-downloading it.

If all else fails, you could pause the Port-based services to prevent them from running.

Ohh..I had not realised that. This morning, I ran a test where I started with a freshly downloaded copy of Simon. I then had Console open with the windowserver log displaying and went on normally, taking notes of when Simon put itself in front. I found this corresponds with the entries in the windowserver log:
Jul 08 07:40:32 [154] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowListTags: Operation on a window 0x7 not owned by caller SimonPortHelper
Jul 08 07:45:23 [154] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowListTags: Operation on a window 0x7 not owned by caller SimonPortHelper
Jul 08 07:45:30 [154] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowListTags: Operation on a window 0x7 not owned by caller SimonPortHelper
Jul 08 08:05:25 [154] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowListTags: Operation on a window 0x7 not owned by caller SimonPortHelper
Jul 08 08:05:32 [154] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowListTags: Operation on a window 0x7 not owned by caller SimonPortHelper
Jul 08 08:10:38 [154] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowListTags: Operation on a window 0x7 not owned by caller SimonPortHelper
Jul 08 08:15:25 [154] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowListTags: Operation on a window 0x7 not owned by caller SimonPortHelper
Jul 08 08:15:33 [154] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowListTags: Operation on a window 0x7 not owned by caller SimonPortHelper

I could find no reason for this to happen...eg. like every time a certain action was taken or anything else common to all occurrences.

So...next step is to turn off port related services.
Thank you
eve

Ok, I did some testing more testing Today and I found 3 tests that will produce this behaviour. 1 is testing smtp on a server, 1 is testing pop on the same server and 1 is testing the connection to a news server (different machine). If either one of the 3 is active, it will produce this behaviour. None of the others (ping, web, ftp, afp) seem to do this.

I then deleted the smtp test and set it up again from scratch but that didn't work either.

I am out of ideas. Do you have any more?
Thank you
eve

David Sinclair's picture

Very strange. I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue, and I can't recreate it myself, so it must be something specific to your machine. Replacing Simon proves it isn't a damaged app, and deleting and re-adding the test proves it isn't some damaged setting (though I can't imagine what could cause that anyway).

At this point, the only thing I can think of is to avoid the Port-based services. Fortunately, it's easy enough to re-implement them via Script-based services. See the "Outgoing Mail (SMTP) via SSL" and similar services for example.

If anyone else has any other ideas, let us know.