Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Setting Up Webpage Change Monitor?

I'm watching a specific webpage for changes and trying to figure out a way to be alerted immediately when a change occurs. What's the best way to setup a test that monitors and notifies only when any graphic or text on the page has been added or removed?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Setting Up Webpage Change Monitor?

That's one of Simon's core features. Simply add a test for that page, and use the Smart Change Detection feature to detect changes. If you want any changes on the page, and there isn't dynamic content you want to ignore, you can leave the Start and End Text fields blank.

Then add a notifier for Changes to be informed of the change.

(Note for people reading this in the future: version 2.6 and later, due in beta soon as I write this, uses a more flexible Filters feature instead of Smart Change Detection.)

Ok, figured that out.

Here's another question...
The webpage I'm monitoring has an image randomizer in a table at the top of the page. Each time the page is refreshed a new image is loaded and this is causing the test to notify of a new change. How do I set up the test to ignore the image refresh changes in that table?

David Sinclair's picture

That's where the Start and End text fields of the Smart Change Detection feature come in. Edit the test, and click the Preview button at the bottom of the editor window. It'll show the page in a separate window, with the page source at the top and rendered below. You can look through the source to find the bit you're interested in, after the random image, and copy a distinctive piece of the source to the Start text. If you leave the End text blank, it'll scan from that Start text to the end of the source, or you could specify some End text too.