Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Twitter plugin

Question: who uses the Twitter service or notifier plugin?

As you may have heard, Twitter has turned off the "basic" authentication of sending a username and password directly. Now, they require a complex OAuth authentication scheme.

I've been working on upgrading Simon's Twitter plugin to support OAuth (or more precisely xAuth), but haven't had nay luck so far. So in my frustration, I thought I'd ask if anyone actually uses it. If nobody has much interest in it, I might just remove the Twitter plugin from version 2.6, rather than continue working on it.

(I actually do use it myself, for the SimonBot Twitter account, and to notify me of changes on some of my accounts, so I would miss it... but perhaps not enough to want to spend more time bashing my head against it.)

Re: Twitter plugin

I really need the Twitter plugin to work, it is absolutely essential for me and it is the only way for the text messages to work (can't get it working through the text feature of the app and you tried to do it for me but it would crash the app). Please do not discontinue and find a fix for it - I did purchase the Enterprise edition and need this for my work. - Thanks

David Sinclair's picture

Thanks for letting me know. The original author of the Twitter plugin, Daniel Ellis, is going to try updating it to support OAuth (or xAuth), so hopefully we'll have it working for 2.6.

I also plan to work on the email and SMS via email features for 2.6, so hopefully that will help you, too.

Many thanks!! I can't tell you how important this is to me and I appreciate you help. I have not been looking around extensively for a release date - any estimation in weeks or months?

David Sinclair's picture

As with all software development, it'll be done when it's done.

I'm hoping to have a beta of 2.6 out by the end of this month, though. I might do the first beta with all planned 2.6 features, or might do a few incomplete releases, to give more testing time to the big changes (e.g. the filter features).

Read the Dejal blog and/or follow me on Twitter or on Facebook for news.

I withdraw my earlier request regarding the Twitter plugin - I have managed to get the email notifiers to work which happen to be even better for me.

If I want some consultation from you on ways to maximize my use of the app - would you dialogue with me perhaps by email? I would be happy to make a donation for your efforts...

David Sinclair's picture

I'm happy to provide free support via email or the Simon forum.

Yes, we definitely use the Twitter plugin. It is the main way we send out notices to the company at large when we are having server issues (much easier to have people subscribe to a particular twitter account and then decide through their twitter account when/how to get the alerts than for us to manage).

Since I have been very busy on a new contract last couple months, I hadn't paid attention to the fact that it had been very quiet from an alerts point of view (I guess I was hoping everything was running smoothly). I finally got around to checking and found out that the alerts had simply stopped due to this Twitter problem - luckily everything was running pretty smoothly so I hadn't missed anything critical.

We would very much like this to work again as nothing else is as flexible for what we do.

BTW: It appears that someone has solved the OAUTH issue in Applescript, so it should be possible to due similar in plug-in. Here is the link to the thread. http://osdir.com/ml/twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com/2010-08/ms... (or maybe you are the person in the thread).

David Sinclair's picture

Thanks for the feedback. Daniel has managed to get the Twitter plugin working with OAuth for version 2.6, so once that's available, you'll be able to use it again.

Currently planning to do the first beta release at the end of this week, if all goes well.

Great. We look forward to trying it.